5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ported my heads what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:20 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Default ported my heads what to expect?

ok so heres some crappy pics but to put it really simple, i dremeled out the exaust and intake port, mostly the intake, i make them almost the exact size as the intake gasket holes. will i gain any ponies from this?

Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 AM
91greengt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ported my heads what to expect?

You did that with the heads bolted on? I hope not. I don't see much of a gain without porting and/or smoothing the entire port. Each lil bump will cause a disturbance in air flow. You want it to be smooth and consistant throughout all ports.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:33 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you only port the lip to about an inch into the port.....that wont do shyte. plus its not even smooth. you wont see any gains
Old 09-26-2007, 08:53 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

sighs, yes i did it with the heads on and vacumed and used air to blow all the crap out.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:07 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: 86GT 93LX

sighs, yes i did it with the heads on and vacumed and used air to blow all the crap out.
wow....
Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

I made a post in your other thread....
Thats a bad idea what you just did.. microscopic pieces of metal will be falling off the heads for a while, and there is no way you can get all the little metal shavings out. It doesnt take much at all to clog the oil screen, to damage a cylander wall, or to get down into your ring landings and start causing blowby issues.

As for power, you probably lost some. the airflow is supposed to go across perfectly smoothed edges.. the smoother they are the better the flow through, which is why a polishing job along with a porting job is usually done. When the air hits an unsmoothed/unleveled surface its going to restrict it, even if its a wider opening.. it will slow the velocity of the air charge at the very least. If I were you, I think I would pull those heads off and take them to a shop to have them machined properly... and follow my advice on the magnets. We had to do that in a buddy's 240 after his turbo clogged and shrapneled a bunch of microscopic metal flakes into the oil... you owuld be amazed how much crap we actualy pulled off the magnets after a couple days each time.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:59 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86GT 93LX

That might have been your biggest mistake. Say bye-bye to your cam bearings and lifter bores

But the porting probably wont give you much gains, maybe a little, but nothing you will feel. The exhaust side need the most work, not the intake.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:09 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I did my gt-40X, You have to have them off and take the valves out. I spent many hours on mine. I used a carbide bit to port, then used 80 grit-220-then 320 cylinders from Eastwood. Came out nice, did my lower gt-40 ijntake too, heres a pic

Old 09-26-2007, 10:28 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

put it all back together, wipe whats there off and use a magnet for the shavings

Next time vacum

You ever fix that idle
Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aode06

put it all back together, wipe whats there off and use a magnet for the shavings

Next time vacum

You ever fix that idle
it was running pretty good the n i blew the heater core hose then it died, no spark!! no spark from the coil. put a coil thats new in there, still no spark...had it towed home[:@]
if my motor isnt otast i might go carbbed really soon. i want no more computer crap on my car at all. im tired of messing with things! mt problem is i think im smarter than i am and i do dumb stuff like this. but now im tryn to figure out why i have no spark. wish i still had my honda, never any issues, very reliable. all mt 3 cars are crapping on me now.firebird leaks oil bad and the shifter linkage broke on the tranny, the bronco has no clutch left. i need a reliable car and my mustang for a project car, the rest of the junk can go!!

Quick Reply: ported my heads what to expect?