5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Anyone Running a Demon carb?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:57 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Default Anyone Running a Demon carb?

Any carb experts?I've got a 650 Race demon carb .Its running Rich at idle despite fuel screw mixture changes,new power valve, 2.5...talked to a few others and seems to be common...Just wondering if anyone has this problem and if anyones knows a fix...The Idle Air Bleedscrews are .070's...need larger ,smaller?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:02 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone Running a Demon carb?

I ran a 650 mighty demon on my 86. Out of the box it ran pretty good at idle with very few adjustments. Part of the problem maybe that the race demon comes out of the box setup for large duration camshafts.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:07 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

How much vacuum do you have at idle? You need to hook up a vacuum gauge and set you idle air control screw to get most vacuum, they must all be set the same. Vacuum at idle is how you determine your PV. Adjust to get highest vacuum and divide that vacuum reading in half to get proper PV.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:54 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

How much vacuum do you have at idle? You need to hook up a vacuum gauge and set you idle air control screw to get most vacuum, they must all be set the same. Vacuum at idle is how you determine your PV. Adjust to get highest vacuum and divide that vacuum reading in half to get proper PV.
A solid 6 inches @ 1000 rpm(usually go 2 inches below that but no 4's so 3.5.but anyways)..did the vaccum set..Now have a pv block in the front.and itso much more responsive on the revs..but still runs a tad rich at idle..think I need tomess with the Idle Feed Restrictors or the Idle Bleed screws in the top........
Old 09-27-2007, 05:10 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

What's your fuel pressure, and have you set your floats? If you have too much fuel pressure or the float level is too high it will cause the same problem
Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

What's your fuel pressure, and have you set your floats? If you have too much fuel pressure or the float level is too high it will cause the same problem
6 psi @ idle and Clear Float Sights...dead center......
Old 09-27-2007, 07:53 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Guess my next q? is,anyone know how the Idle Feed Restrictors work(in the metering blocks)and theIdle Air Bleeds?If I remember correctly the holleys,larger Idle Air Bleeds to lean it out @ Idle(outside bleed screws)....Demons...unsure..Thanks for the responses guys...
Old 09-27-2007, 07:59 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

how do you know your rich???? Ihave a friend with a 68 cougar that I tuned a 650 demon carb for them and it smelled rich out the tail pipe but when we did the afr test on the dyno at idle to our suprise afr was 13.5 to 1 not to bad for a street strip car have you done an afr test and if you think it's way to rich then jet it back also if you only have 6 in hg of vaccum then you must have one lumpy idle/camshaft with alot of duration....in that case then the power valve may not work like it's intended to if you don't have the correct size in as vaccum is what holds it shut...if you had a 6.5 like a holley stock has you'd need about a 3 to 3.5 to make it work correctly with the afore mentioned vaccum reading you have.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:06 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

how do you know your rich???? Ihave a friend with a 68 cougar that I tuned a 650 demon carb for them and it smelled rich out the tail pipe but when we did the afr test on the dyno at idle to our suprise afr was 13.5 to 1 not to bad for a street strip car have you done an afr test and if you think it's way to rich then jet it back also if you only have 6 in hg of vaccum then you must have one lumpy idle/camshaft with alot of duration....in that case then the power valve may not work like it's intended to if you don't have the correct size in as vaccum is what holds it shut...if you had a 6.5 like a holley stock has you'd need about a 3 to 3.5 to make it work correctly with the afore mentioned vaccum reading you have.
Currently have no power Valves..blocked off...Main jets dont affect idle enrichmnet...and mentioned inmy other post a 3.5 is what I should use...if I was to use them...Hydraulic roller,590 lift and 242 and 252 @.050 ...No a/f ,,can check at work ,,but know from previous race cars,,,its diff rich...stand behind it at idle and your eyes will start to burn......and smoke abit..My dominator 8896-3 on my sbc 422 C.Ididnt run this damn rich..I'm really starting to dislike demon carbs...
Old 09-27-2007, 08:07 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8banger

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

A solid 6 inches @ 1000 rpm(usually go 2 inches below that but no 4's so 3.5.but anyways)..did the vaccum set..Now have a pv block in the front.and itso much more responsive on the revs..but still runs a tad rich at idle..think I need tomess with the Idle Feed Restrictors or the Idle Bleed screws in the top........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Running a Demon carb?