5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Look into picking up a 1994 5.0 Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:23 PM
mustang*girl

Default Look into picking up a 1994 5.0 Need help.

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and did a little searching but am still lost.. I'm looking at a 1994 Mustang 5.0 GT that I want my boyfriend to buy me.. He told me to look into a few things but I'm getting lost as I'm not very car literate.. The car has a few things done to it, but he knows the owner and who did the modifications.

mods:
- NOS, he pulled the bottles but left the rest.
- 4:11 Gears in the rear[:-]
- New Cam (Don't know the specs)[&o]

Ok, here is the thing.. I'm going to go test drive the car tomorrow and the onwer said that since the new cam and gears were installed that the Auto transmission will over rev (hits fuel cut) when the auto shifts.. He said it needs retuned / mapped and a Shift Kit.

I've been looking on here and found a lot of threads about shiftkits and a lot of guys are saying that they are bad.. If this is true how can I fix this rev issue? Are there any "decent" kits that are proven to last and not blow the trans?

Also any suggestions on the ECU mapping issue? Can I get a Hand held programer to just adjust the settings?

Thanks for all your help and not Flaming a NOOB!!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:40 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Look into picking up a 1994 5.0 Need help.

Welcome noob...........
I think you should get to the nearest Mustang dyno shop and get info from them.
They will probably know good place for a tune on the car if they can't do it themselves.
IMHO, I'd leave the N20 alone, it really hard on motors......
Old 09-27-2007, 07:45 PM
TTGreenSN95
3rd Gear Member

I would say go find a stock one and do stuff to it yourself no telling whats wrong with this car and if you have to pay someone to figure out whats wrong with it.Its going to cost alot of money how much does he want for the car anyway?
i cant see how it would hit fuel shutoff before it shifts?It should still shift in the same spot?????i think....
A cam and a gear will change the shift points on these cars........????
Old 09-27-2007, 08:00 PM
mustang*girl

Thanks for the rapid responces guys..

I know the owner of this car and it's history for the past 5 years or so.. I'm planning on taking the NOS out, my BF wants it to convert into an Intercooler Sprayer for his car (550awhp WRX).. He told me that it would kill my Rods and Rod bearings.. I didn't believe him, LOL, I figured he just wanted free parts.. [:'(]

The guy wants 5k for it.. It's pretty clean and has 48k miles on it.. It has however been sitting for the past few years as the owner got pretty sick and lost interest in most of the things in his life.. he said if not for the Gears, Cams, and recently Rebuilt trans he wouldn't be asking so much..

All I know about the shifting issue is that he said it shifts too slow and revs.. I plan on test driving it tomorrow to see what it's like.. My BF will also be there to help me explain it all to you guys..
Old 09-27-2007, 08:05 PM
skielk
1st Gear Member

The automatic transmission is an AODE is computer controlled which means by the guy switching the rear end gears he is making the computer think its at the shift point when really it isn't. I've heard of people getting they're computers adjusted for gears in the AODE. The car won't shift correctly until it is either dyno tuned or you get a transmission controller to adjust the shift points.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:05 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

It might be an issue with the throttle cable adjustment causing slow shifts.
Mine was out of adjustment and causing quick shifts.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

sounds like a little trans slippage goin' on and as far as the NOS maybe so you BF wants free parts so play with him say you want de' cookie then nookie it'll be....but he's right about NOS being hard on the motor I run a 100 shot and if the motor isn't built well then parts will fly!!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 PM
mustang*girl

ORIGINAL: skielk

The car won't shift correctly until you get a transmission controller to adjust the shift points.

That's what we were thinking.. Any suggestions on brands?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:08 PM
ak47dennis
1st Gear Member

Their maybe some truth that spray is hard on the engine, (ifthe motor is a turd tostart with)I had the 150 horse kit on my 88-89 GT's for a while these cars went thru more bottles of happy juice then tanks of gas [8D]after taking both motors apart with 128k -144k there was no signs of wear let alone damage from NOS!

Also not a huge fan of AODE cars you will need to spend money on an expensive stall converter (and more then likely trans rebuild) to even be equal with a stock 5spd car.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Lil Shoaf
1st Gear Member

Well we looked at the car today but didn't take it for a test drive.. The car is not in bad shape at all, it was Wrecked and is an "R" Title.. There was more done then I was thinking.. It has Trick flow Intake, Edlbrock Heads, headers, cam(specs not remembered) He said it was the biggest lift he could get with out dishing the pistons??, 4:11 gears, rebuilt trans, Zex Wet NOS.. Now I don't know much of anything about Mustangs as I'm a Subaru guy so any imput is apreciated.. He wants 5500 (edit corrected price)for it.. It does have a decent interior and only 44000 on the clock.. There is however (3) issues.. Anti Lock light is on (But I remember him pulling the fuse years ago when he took it to the track), Air Bag light is on (I think the Passenger bag is missing, and Coolant level (discovered that the upper return line to the rad was leaking horribly)..

Quick Reply: Look into picking up a 1994 5.0 Need help.