5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Porting And Polishing questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:27 AM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

Default Porting And Polishing questions

Hey guys, I am thinking about porting and polishing my cylinder heads, and upper and lower intake. I am going to the junk yard and picking up gt-40 heads and intake and since they are so cheap i figured id give it a shot.. Now this is my first time at this, so I have no idea what the tools needed are. So if anyone could give me input that would be great
Old 09-29-2007, 09:28 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Porting And Polishing questions

anyone?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:37 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Going to crazy rays I take it? I've pulled a couple sets from there, your gonna need basic wrench set, basic socket set (standard and metric), a big rachet to break head bolts loose, a long pry bar to break the stainless manifolds, starp cutting tool to cut wires braided line, heavy duty hammer helps clear stuff out of the way, pliers for some stuff. Your gonna need a long extension to remove the heater and evaporator box.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:42 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

yea man you know it! gotta love crazy rays...yea i am heading up there this week, probably to the one in jessup, and if thats a no go, then ill be heading over to mt. airey...but do you know of what tools i need to do the actual porting and polishing?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:42 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

oh and beside 99 explorers and mountaineers, what other cars came with the gt-40 heads and manifolds?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:46 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Your gonna need carbide bits, polishing bits and a air grinder.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:48 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

okay so i have an air grinder, now these bits, would they be something that like harbor freight would carry? or am i headed to the home depot, and how many will i use doing the job? are they just like different girts like in sand paper, the more course for the porting and the finer for the polishing?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:52 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

harbour freight has them, but they are garbage...

no carbide bits have ever lasted me as long as my Snap-On bits
Old 09-29-2007, 09:56 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

so i got a deal with snap-on, so i just see if he has carbide bits? im just not sure what to ask for
Old 09-29-2007, 09:59 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

ORIGINAL: wildsurfer92

Hey guys, I am thinking about porting and polishing my cylinder heads, and upper and lower intake. I am going to the junk yard and picking up gt-40 heads and intake and since they are so cheap i figured id give it a shot.. Now this is my first time at this, so I have no idea what the tools needed are. So if anyone could give me input that would be great
OK, I've just finished porting/polising my upper intake a couple of days ago, and I'm doing my lower intake tomorrow, the heads I'm gonna probably have to have done.

The intakes are fairly easy to do as they're alluminum, the heads, such as GT-40s, are cast iron, and aren't so easy, not to mention the fact that you have to know what you're doing when it comes to heads.

To do the intake I used a Dremel, a cutting bit, and a griding bit.

To do my TB and port it out from 73mm to 75mm I took the gasket out of the box, set it on the intake, the carefully taped it in place using regular scotch tape. I then took my dremel, applied an alluminum cutting bit (not grinding) and began porting. There were parts of the gasket that didn't need any porting, but one side was badly out of place, damn Ford parts not being perfectly round. Anyways, I started from where the gasket and intake began to become out of round, and simply followed the intake till it came back in round. I kept the same process up until the gasket and intake were the same size, and of course, you start from the top and work your way as far down as you can. Funny thing is, 94-95 Cobra intakes actually widen up as yougo in, so it isn't that hard to get the size wanted, but you have to remember to take your time and work slowly. I then took the gasket back off, and used the griding stone to take out any remaining flaws, and tidy things up a bit. I then used the same procedure for the lower half of the upper intake, which is a little harder to do and requires more precision as the smaller ports require less porting than a TB will.

Now this won't get you an astounding port job, but gasket matching will help out, and the furthing down into the intake you can port, the better off you'll be.

Just remember to take your time, and keep a steady hand. If you start getting tired, then stop, don't risk injuring yourself, or making a bad miscut.

Quick Reply: Porting And Polishing questions