5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

runs rough when cold after h/c/i

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Woodard2589
1st Gear Member

Default runs rough when cold after h/c/i

I just put gt40p heads, trickflow stage 1 cam, and a rpm II intake, and when it was first put together it started up fine and would run right when cold, but i had to take it all back apart after it stopped wanting to turn over, and ended up being a chunk of metal on the no. 8 cylinder. anyways i put it all back together and it ran as strong as ever but when its cold, usually less than 125 it runs like crap. it has no power, barely can stay running, and when i give it gas it backfires. my friend told me before when we first put it together that it was the throttle body backfiring cause it sounds different than a normal backfire, yet i can feel it through the exhaust. he thinks it might be a leak on one of the heads, and the metal in the gasket is expanding when it gets hot and stops the leak. im not really sure. i cleaned the iac, even thought its the same one i had before, and the throttle body and mass air meter are also new on this setup but are used from a buddy. neither should be dirty enought to cause the problem seeing how htere pretty new. i've also changed the coolant temp sensor,(i forget the name) thats on the black hose for the heat in the car cause i had another laying around. so does anybody have any ideas what it might be?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:58 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: runs rough when cold after h/c/i

Have you had it tuned yet? My guess is no
Old 10-02-2007, 06:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what year mustang?? and have you/ how did you set the timing??
Old 10-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Woodard2589
1st Gear Member

the fuel pressure, idle, timing,tps and what not have all been roughly setup by a friend of mine that owns a speedshop so i dont think it is anything with the tune. it needs to be tuned more just to get a few more .10's off my 1/4 mile but, it should run fine off the tune. I'm thinking its a sensor but idk.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

your not giving us much to go on??? is the car mass air?? if so is the mass air calibrated to the injector size??? what year mustang is it????? we can't make a educated guess through osmosis....you need to provide some specs and what's been done to the car other than H/C/I
Old 10-02-2007, 07:22 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

your not giving us much to go on??? is the car mass air?? if so is the mass air calibrated to the injector size??? what year mustang is it????? we can't make a educated guess through osmosis....you need to provide some specs and what's been done to the car other than H/C/I

Then you're just not pressing your face against the moniter hard enough [8D]
Old 10-02-2007, 07:31 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the car should run just fine without a tune installed.....the tune will maximize his potential.....with the backfiring through the intake the best guess I'd say is possibly the timing is off or the distributor is a tooth off...I 'd double check the timing with the spout connector out and check the balancer to make sure it hasn't spun on the rubber
Old 10-02-2007, 07:31 PM
TTGreenSN95
3rd Gear Member

Let me know what this thing runs thats the exact same setup I have on my my motor
gt40p rpm2 and stage one cam
all I can tell U,mine is cold natured for about 30 seconds then runs fine I had a harder time getting the thing to idle and that still acts up sometimes.
might be that used mass air meter.Mine ran fine without a tune
it also doesnt like alot of timing if that helps you any..more than 12* and she starts pinging
do you have the same size injectors in it??if there bigger its going to be a cold natured B#$%@! without a tune
I had 36#injectors in mine and it was hard to start and cold natured for about a month in hot summer heat...so i went back to the 19#injectors
Old 10-02-2007, 09:14 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

this is the most retarded thread I have ever seen

you car will not make good power UNTIL its warmed up.. otherwise its gonna run rediculously rich, have no timing... and yea..

let it warm up before you whomp on it.. and stop bitching
Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 PM
TTGreenSN95
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

this is the most retarded thread I have ever seen

you car will not make good power UNTIL its warmed up.. otherwise its gonna run rediculously rich, have no timing... and yea..

let it warm up before you whomp on it.. and stop bitching
It is certainly not the most retarded thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--->>https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=3945286
The guy who ported his heads on the car is the most retarded thread I have seen so far!! Now thats RETARDED!!!!

Quick Reply: runs rough when cold after h/c/i