5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how do i know if a cam lob is wiped out??

Old 10-04-2007, 10:24 AM
BlackLX_92
2nd Gear Member

Default how do i know if a cam lob is wiped out??

How do i know if a cam lobe is wiped out i dont know what to look/ listen for
Old 10-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how do i know if a cam lob is wiped out??

What are the symptoms the car has now?......
Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 AM
BlackLX_92
2nd Gear Member

well i dont think i have that prob but i was told to watch out for that because i dont think my roller rockers a adjusted correctly and i dont know how to do that i have ford racing roller rockers they are pedistal mont bolt down style is it with shims??
Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 AM
n2jmk

You'll need to take the valvetrain measurements (lift and duration)in order tocompare them with the cam's manufacturer specs.
OR
Or just take the cam over to a good machine shop and have them compare it to the original specs. This assumes you know 100% what cam you have.
OR
Sometimes youcan tell if the cam is worn by visually looking at it,(when it's out of the engine of course). Just look at the lobes and see if they're scored or burned on the sides of the lobes and shiny in the center.

IF the lifters were bad, rocker arms out of adjustment, the oil not changed regularly, and/or the motor consistantly over-revved, the cam could be worn also. As for a noise? It may be valvetrain noises (tapping) coming from the top of the engine.

You didn't give any details. Why do you think your cam is wiped out???

Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM
n2jmk

The engine would run like crap if one of the cam lobes was wiped out.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:16 AM
BlackLX_92
2nd Gear Member

i dont think my cam is bad but
ORIGINAL: n2jmk

You'll need to take the valvetrain measurements (lift and duration)in order tocompare them with the cam's manufacturer specs.
[align=center]OR[/align]
Or just take the cam over to a good machine shop and have them compare it to the original specs. This assumes you know 100% what cam you have.[align=center]OR[/align][align=center][/align]Sometimes youcan tell if the cam is worn by visually looking at it,(when it's out of the engine of course). Just look at the lobes and see if they're scored or burned on the sides of the lobes and shiny in the center.

IF the lifters were bad, rocker arms out of adjustment, the oil not changed regularly, and/or the motor consistantly over-revved, the cam could be worn also. As for a noise? It may be valvetrain noises (tapping) coming from the top of the engine.

You didn't give any details. Why do you think your cam is wiped out???

[align=left][/align]
the cam thats in it looks like that i thought it looked odd but i was told by a couple of shops that it SHOULD be fine you think thats my prob?? i have an E-303 to replace it (stock cam is in right now) but if i put the E-303 in there im worried bout clearence issues my motor was 0 decked and the heads were shaved 0.020" would i have clearence probs?? what springs should i use??
Old 10-04-2007, 11:24 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

as long as you are not running 1.7 roller rockers, the E cam will fit fine
Old 10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
n2jmk

Stock 87 - 93 5.0L engine with stock heads?
The "E" cam only has a 0.498" lift; you will be fine. Once cam lifts go above 0.512", you have to check valve-to-piston clearance and consider flycut pistons. You'll be fine with the "E" cam.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:45 AM
BlackLX_92
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

how do i know if i have 1.7 roller rockers cuz i do have aftermarket roller rockers but i dont know which ones they are they were on it when i got it
Old 10-04-2007, 12:51 PM
jerhog4

ORIGINAL: BlackLX_92

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

how do i know if i have 1.7 roller rockers cuz i do have aftermarket roller rockers but i dont know which ones they are they were on it when i got it
if your rockers are aftermarket, they will say if they are 1.6 on the top of the rocker heads. Change out the cam if you have one you will be fine that E cam is nothing big just make sure your valve are not over 194. put better springs on if you dont already have some, go just alittle higher with the spring max lift then what your cam is spect at just incase you have 1.6 rockers. 1.6 from 1.7 is not a large number when it comes to lift it just makes it easer foryour cam to push the valves down. Your problem might be your timing chain it will go bad long before your cam will unless someone didnt ajust your valve train correctly. good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how do i know if a cam lob is wiped out??