5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:13 PM
GaryBisiniere
3rd Gear Member

Default turbo setup

alright so ive been thinking about a turbo now instead of a blower. i already have edelbrock performer rpm heads and im buying forged pistons and rods for my 306. and converting to fuel injection so what should i do for intake cam computer and i want to buy a single turbo kit. suggestions?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: turbo setup

ooh, if you're already carbed...why not stay carbed?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:39 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

the fun part is , you can buy one of those little intake manifolds that allow easy acess to stuff, when going forced induction.

Turbo , all the way.

Im saving for a dart block and dual turbo kit. Imagine a 427 with dual turbo's[], in a dam mustang, WITH OPEN HEADERS
Old 10-05-2007, 08:57 AM
GaryBisiniere
3rd Gear Member

i dont like having to tume the carb all the time i want a daily driven 500hp.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

just seems to be that fuel injection is so much more of a hassle. I'll be starting my turbo build soon, and if I wasn't FI already I would be using carb. MAF, Injectors, FPR, Throttle bodies, fuel pumps,elaborate intakes, just alot more more to deal with, a lot more money, etc.

But I do see the points of the benifit for tuning capabilities, and the easeof that in that department. I guess I'm just cheap and want cheap power.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:18 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Intake: Edlebrock Vic Jr with EFI injector ports and CostHigh TB elbow
Cam: Custom cam or even just an E cam or TFS-1 cam wont be bad.
Computer: stock will work but is not very accurate for boosted engines and can cause some issues (ie blown headgaskets and such)
I have an AEM plug-n-play computer on mine with crank pick-up and no distributor, ultimate in timing accuracy
AEM also let me run with Speed Density so no MAF required. MAF's have a hard time keeping up with the airflow coming into a boosted engine.

If you want I have my old A9L stock 5 speed computer for sale.

Turbo:
www.quicktimeturbosystems.com
www.bgturbokits.com
www.ponydown.net
www.hellionpowersystems.com
www.hpperformance.com
Old 10-05-2007, 04:58 PM
GaryBisiniere
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the replies and i know fuel injection is way more money but way better once its tuned in right. if i can not get it to run right there are a couple shops close by that deal with turbos....
Old 10-05-2007, 06:46 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

You will definitely have to take it for a custom dyno tune
after install. You cant get it running on your own, but timing and fuel curves
will have to be set with dyno tuning.

I wouldnt say EFI is better than carb but it will give you that "set it and forget it" tunabilty more than a carb.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:16 PM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aode06

the fun part is , you can buy one of those little intake manifolds that allow easy acess to stuff, when going forced induction.

Turbo , all the way.

Im saving for a dart block and dual turbo kit. Imagine a 427 with dual turbo's[], in a dam mustang, WITH OPEN HEADERS
funny thing about that....we have a '69 Boss 302 that has a real 427 side oiler in it (from an actual '66 GT-40 mind you [:-]) and we were tossin around the idea of a TT set up. i think that might be a while though since we just rebuilt it and put some new goodies in it.plus its kinda tight in there already. a new big hyd roller bump stick - .634" I / .632" E and i think like 260* duration @ .050" and dual 660 center squirter carbs. she'll def be a ripper. sorry to jack the thread there for a sec but i cant wait till mon when i adj the rockers and start er up. the damn thing took 9 qts of oil too [&:]

EDIT: just curious how you plan on runnin open headers on that turbo set up. dont think it'll make much boost
Old 10-05-2007, 10:20 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

daily driven 500hp? Hope you got a sportsman block, otherwise it'll be daily driven...for a little while anyways.

For an intake. Probably nothing radical, something like a Edelbrock RPM/RPMII or a Trickflow. Something pretty standard bolton. I mean its a stock block engine. You won't need a Vic Jr. modified for EFI and sh*t like that to make 500hp with a turbo set up. Hell, you could probably do it with a completly stock long block with the right turbo/set up and have it tuned from somebody who knows what they're doin'.

But i agree with r.barn about the computer. Its a little finiky to get it to work consistant, not saying it can't be done though, its just how much aggrevation/busted headgaskets you want to endure to get it to work.

to get some real nice advice from alot of people who have first hand experience with turbo set ups, both blow through and EFI, go to Turbomustangs.com.....err, im sorry, i mean "Theturboforums.com" because the guy that created the site decided to sell his bad *** turbo'd mustang to buy a lame *** Supra. (dont get me wrong, i love supra's, but the Mustang was pretty damn sweet.)

Quick Reply: turbo setup