5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What to use for sealing paint?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

Default What to use for sealing paint?????

I'm working on my car. And I have alot in primer. I keep hearing alot about primer holding in moisture and it could cause it to rust later. I definetly don't want that! Not after everything I'm fixing. Anyways.... In areas like... my tailight header panel, under the wheel wells, and behind the fenders. Would some rustoleum spray paint seal the moisture out of the primer? I'm going to get the whole car back together. Then I'm going to sand it back down and paint it. And I'm not too worried what it looks like where no one sees. I'm only completely disassembling the car because I want to eliminate all starting rust. So I don't want to fudge all my work up in the future. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:24 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What to use for sealing paint?????

primer sealer
Old 10-05-2007, 06:30 PM
kilgorq
2nd Gear Member

How long will it be unpainted?

Primer does not trap moisture. It is however porous and will let moisture through. If you are repainting it latter with a catalyzed paint you may not want to seal it with a bomb can paint. It could cause a chemical reaction when you paint and make your bomb can paint curdle like rotten milk. Leaving a real mess to clean up. If you have chosen your color already then get a little bit of what you are actually going to paint the car with and use it. Then you should not have the chemical reaction issue. Keep in mind that if you have them put the color in a can for you it will not be catalyzed and you could have the same issue.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

Is a base-coat/clear-coat a catalyzed paint. The only thing I've ever used was single-stage urethane. And it worked out okay using spray bomb primer.
I hope I haven't screwed myself already. Because that's what I've been primer-ing with. Because I don't have all the equipment to use my spray gun. Plus I'm only doing pieces one at a time. I guess if worse come to worse. I'll just have to use urethane again. But I wanted to do a metallic finish. Oh, well.....
Old 10-05-2007, 06:57 PM
kilgorq
2nd Gear Member

I usually use bomb can primers (Rustoleum) for small jobs and have had no issues with it. Grey seems to build better. Black is too thim. Catalyzed means you have to add a catalyst (AKA Hardners) it speeds drying times. And makes the paint dry harder. If the paint is catalyzed it will dry in the can even when the can is sealed.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:27 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

Urethane's use hardners, and reducers. So, I guess I'm still okay?.?. I'll see if I can't get ahold of my uncle. He paints for a career. I'm susposed to get ahold of him anyways..... To see if he'll spray the paint for me.