5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

leaking engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:14 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

Default leaking engine oil

ive had my car for about 4-5 months now, and all of a sudden through the past week its decided to start leaking engine oil on me. its not coming from the intake manifold or heads,(i ran the car for a while , drove it, pulled over waited for it to drip at the bottom then took a rag and rubbed all over the ehads and intake no leak there) when i went under the car from what i could tell it is coming from betwene the engine and the tranny. so im thinking its the rear main seal. the leak mostly occurs when the car is off, and i dont think its the oil pan since i checked that to. i was wondering what the best fix is. i dont really want to rip stuff apart, so i was wondering if there is any good oils that i can put in the crank case, i know theres stuff like stop - a -leak. what do you think i should do, im not that experienced with this.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: leaking engine oil

ORIGINAL: crocop

ive had my car for about 4-5 months now, and all of a sudden through the past week its decided to start leaking engine oil on me. its not coming from the intake manifold or heads,(i ran the car for a while , drove it, pulled over waited for it to drip at the bottom then took a rag and rubbed all over the ehads and intake no leak there) when i went under the car from what i could tell it is coming from betwene the engine and the tranny. so im thinking its the rear main seal. the leak mostly occurs when the car is off, and i dont think its the oil pan since i checked that to. i was wondering what the best fix is. i dont really want to rip stuff apart, so i was wondering if there is any good oils that i can put in the crank case, i know theres stuff like stop - a -leak. what do you think i should do, im not that experienced with this.
BWAHHHHAAAAAAAAAA STOP A LEAK!!!!! IT'S CALLED go buy a new rear main seal and pull the tranny.. that'll be the best stop -a-leak you can buy.....hate to tell you that but the money you'll waste with those gimick products will far exceed the cost of a new rear main = 11.00 to 18.00 depending on where you get it!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

aaahhhhhggg i dont want to pull the damn tranny, thats going to be such a big job for me, like i can do it and all but i just want to drive my dam car. wht the hell did it have to go like this for.

k so basically i have to pull the tranny right off my car, to remove drive shaft, shifter then unbolt the tranny from engine, might as well get a new clutch since im in there, and then i can change the seal.

is there anything i can do besides that like is there anyway to block it off or something.

i really dont want to do this now
Old 10-09-2007, 10:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

there is no way around a leaky rear main seal ...just gotta bite the bullet and replace it......on a lift if you have one pullin the tranny is a 45 min job as long as your bolts aren't rust on the exhaust[:@]... at least on mine I've got it down to that time 3 weeks ago I did it
Old 10-09-2007, 10:38 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

? really only 45 minutes. and thats including taking all the drive shft off and everything, i thought it would be a huge job especially with takeing off the tranny. but a lift of course is necessary, so i either have to go through my highschool or pay some one which im afriad will be like a grand.

thanks for giving me a time frame that took some steam off
Old 10-09-2007, 11:02 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

BWAHHHHAAAAAAAAAA STOP A LEAK!!!!! IT'S CALLED go buy a new rear main seal and pull the tranny.. that'll be the best stop -a-leak you can buy.....hate to tell you that but the money you'll waste with those gimick products will far exceed the cost of a new rear main = 11.00 to 18.00 depending on where you get it!!!
haha that made me lol..
Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 PM
x1n54n3x
1st Gear Member

exactly how much is it to have the clutch replaced and the rear main while theyre down there? i dont have access to a garage or lift so its up to a shop. i dont need a clutch right now but i know i'll need one within the next year and my rear main seal leaks a little bit. i figure i might as well wait for the new clutch to replace the rear main but a ballparkwould be good just so i know how much i need to put away... thanks guys
Old 10-09-2007, 11:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

? really only 45 minutes. and thats including taking all the drive shft off and everything, i thought it would be a huge job especially with takeing off the tranny. but a lift of course is necessary, so i either have to go through my highschool or pay some one which im afriad will be like a grand.

thanks for giving me a time frame that took some steam off
well actually not for the first timer....I'd triple that.....as fro why I can do it so quick....I have lifts and I have done it so many times on them that I have memorized the tools I need and wrench and socket sizes and power tools I use also ......Back in april I had to put a clutch in my 92 and I wanted to drag race that saturday morming....so I went into work at 8 a.m and by 10:20 I was rollin out the door to make it to the track by 11:00..... you don't need a lift you can use jack stands and roll under the car, a lift just makes it tons easier!!! the job pays 4 to 5 hrs I believe so depending on a shops labor rate the job may cost you between 600 to 700 dollars .. that's including parts with new seal
Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

I did mine with jackstands a few months ago and it was my first time, but I was also putting in a new clutch and flywheel along withthe rear main seal... just get a friend to help you do it and make an afternoon of it...
here is the link I went with: http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/s...5&CATID=21

read over it and if you feel you can do the job with some friends, knock it out! once you do it, you realize its not bad at all!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 PM
x1n54n3x
1st Gear Member

good god. i guess i better start saving up now

Quick Reply: leaking engine oil