5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Are all O/R H-Pipe's the same?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:21 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Are all O/R H-Pipe's the same?

i have a mac H pipe, the install was really easy and the quality is very good. they're pretty cheap too. i've heard bad things about the summit ones, but other than that i'm not sure.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:21 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

Im the opposite. I want to switch my off road h to an x..
Old 10-10-2007, 02:22 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chath_brick

i have a mac H pipe, the install was really easy and the quality is very good. they're pretty cheap too. i've heard bad things about the summit ones, but other than that i'm not sure.
Please do explain.. Cause i have one and i have no complaints.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:36 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

i have bbk 1-5/8" shorty unequals, bbk 2-1/2" o/r h-pipe, and flowmaster american thunder catback

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YZM5EDzNAos

its not obnoxiously loud but it sounds real mean throughout the rpm's
Old 10-10-2007, 03:26 PM
91greengt
1st Gear Member

I bought a PaceSetter o/r H pipe and it fits like crap![:@] I got to get it bent to fit.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:07 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jewel91lx5.0

H will always sound better than x. You only sacrifice a whopping HP to make your car sound significantly better. Listen to the exhaust sound clips sticky. Then decide what you like.
That has got to be one of the most opinionated comment I have ever read.

I have had H pipes on my last three stangs, and I have an H on my 91, and I love the sound of the X on my 94 much better. That's MY OPINION though.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:49 PM
CHILLERMAN
1st Gear Member

I've got BBK 15/8 shorties, UPR 2/12 o/r X, and walker dynomax super turbos. I think mine sounds good. Go to the exhaust thread and listen to mine. See what you think. I used to have the stock catted h-pipe, but they were gutted. I went to the o/r x because that's all I could get at the time before going to the tuner. Wanted to have it in place before going to the dyno.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:34 AM
PearlWhiteGT
2nd Gear Member

I think the H will give me more of the sound that I am looking for. I've had the X on for about 6 or 7 years & ready for something different. I don't like the raspy sound anymore. I thought it was the mufflers but I have been through some flowmasters, race bullits, bassani's & now some mac flowpath's.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:44 AM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89MustangGT50

ORIGINAL: chath_brick

Please do explain.. Cause i have one and i have no complaints.
i've heard that the build quality is not good and they dont go on very well...this is from the stangnet http://reviews.stangnet.com/showprod...t=9&page=1review:

I bought this H-pipe for my 95 5.0 with the intention to save some dough. Little did I know, you can buy a MAC for about the same price. It took two of us about 3 hours to install this thing.

It started with the smog pump air tube not being lined up (not even close). So I had to cut the stock steel tube with a pipe cutter and use a silicone radiator hose in it's place.

I proceeded to try and bolt the collector flanges up first. This is where I really started to get annoyed. The bolt holes weren't even CLOSE to matching up with the stock studs! I had to cut a slot all the way to the edge of the flange to get the bolts through. That was about an hour on the Dremel. Oh, and the mounting flanges. . . they are made of 3/8" galvanized steel plate (don't know what grade steel), which bend easily when you tighten the bolts. They should have stuck with the stock stamped steel type which are do much better.

We eventually hung both pipes and started to bolt it up. We quickly realized the whole thing was about 3" too short! Granted, these are probably individually made by someone with a set of dimensions and some tools, I could see why there will be some variability. But 3" too short is pretty bad. We bolted the header side on first then used some hand clamps to pull the catback forward enough to get the bolts through and tightened. We were carefull about tightening the bolts. We stopped once the flanges started to bend. We got it all hooked up and it sounded great. Almost made think it was work it.

It worked great for about a week before I hit a speed bump and the crossover tube disconnected. I put some steel hose clamps on them to hold the pipes together.

Anyway, that was way too long, I just wanted to get that in here for any of you looking to buy this thing becuase it's cheap. Please, trust me and buy something else!

Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 AM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

so after reading that i decided to go with the mac

Quick Reply: Are all O/R H-Pipe's the same?