5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

quadrant problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:40 PM
85GTsleeper
4th Gear Member

Default quadrant problem?

Hey guys i need your help! a about 2 weeks ago i got in my car put the clutch to the floor to start it but the clutch pedal wouldnt go all the way down. so i assumed it was the cable, so i bought another and took out the old one and the cable was almost snapped so when i try to put in the new one i couldnt get enough slack to get the the fork. so i look at the pedal and its still not going to the ground even with the cable disconnected [:@]. could the quadrant of over adjusted itself? i dont know whats going on i took pictures of what im looking at.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:45 PM
85GTsleeper
4th Gear Member

Default RE: quadrant problem?

This is the pedal about 2 or 3in from the floor

heres some pics of the moon and stuff

Old 10-12-2007, 07:50 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

The cable is not connected in those pics correct.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:53 PM
85GTsleeper
4th Gear Member

exactly not connected
Old 10-12-2007, 07:56 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

So w/ the cable diconnected, the pedal won't go all the way to the floor?
How about w/ it connected?
Was this a problem before the new cable install?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

PUT THE CABLE ON THE QUADRANT FIRST THEN oops damn caps!!!! anyway then install it down on the clutch fork....I use a prybar to depress the clutch fork when insufficient slack is the prob...then go back up to the self adjusting mechanism and release tooth pressure and adjust accordingly by pulling up on the pedal or just put an adjustable cable in with the firewall adjuster..I just put one on my 92 last friday when I put a new clutch pedal set up in... man what a difference and ease to install cable and adjust the pedal exactly where I wanted it!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 07:59 PM
85GTsleeper
4th Gear Member

1. yes no cable connected and it wont go to the floor
2.when the old cable was connected in the morning it did the same thing
3. i couldnt even attach the new one i couldnt get enough slack from the moon
Old 10-12-2007, 08:02 PM
85GTsleeper
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

PUT THE CABLE ON THE QUADRANT FIRST THEN oops damn caps!!!! anyway then install it down on the clutch fork....I use a prybar to depress the clutch fork when insufficient slack is the prob...then go back up to the self adjusting mechanism and releast tooth pressure and adjust accordingly by pulling up on the pedal
tried with a pry bar, but wouldnt make it it has a good 2inches left and yes i checked if it was the right cable. the only way i could get it connected was if i push the moon all the way forward past the other thing [8D]. but when that happened the clutch wouldnt even move
Old 10-12-2007, 08:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

is the throw out bearing binding on th input shaft bearing retainer and not allowing the clutch fork to rest in the proper spot???
Old 10-12-2007, 08:06 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Ok, in this pic, the the large piece on the left is the quadrant. The small piece on the right is the adjusting paw. There is spring tension on both. Here is the tricky part. Not sure if you did this during the first install. You have to push the adjusting paw up, then you have to rotate the quadrant ALL the way back towards the firewall so it is now sitting under the paw. (so the teeth can mesh w/ each other) You can do this w/ one hand, it is possible. While holding the 2 pieces together. slip on the cable and relaese the assembly. Pull the pedal all the way forward then push it down. The cable should now be adjusted. If there is still a travel problem, there is probably something wrong in the pressure plate.

Quick Reply: quadrant problem?