5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

my fuel pump still wont kick on

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:28 PM
no slow 5.0

Default my fuel pump still wont kick on

i ve replaced the relay, fuel pump the cut off switch and still wont kick on im about to run a on and off togle switch for the fuel pump will that hold up or is that dangerous
Old 10-12-2007, 08:30 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: my fuel pump still wont kick on

You need a wiring schematic so you can trace the wires. Don't keep throwing parts at it as you can see you're wasting your money.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:33 PM
no slow 5.0

do you have a link so i could print it out
Old 10-12-2007, 08:34 PM
NYMustang50
3rd Gear Member

are you getting power to the cut off switch if so then its most likely the fuel pump it self.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:36 PM
no slow 5.0

like i said im giving up and proballygo with the toggle switch
Old 10-12-2007, 08:41 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: no slow 5.0

do you have a link so i could print it out
Nope, sorry.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

You threw two parts at it now your giving up and going to real F up the car........ Man this issue can be simple to solve with patience and a test light here is how:
1. locate fuel pump harness connector = plugs into top of tank assembley and unplug
2. hook one end of test light to the neg side of connector and other to positive
3.with light hooked in series turn key to on position and watch for light to come on the test light briefly and go out
4.then crank engine and watch test light to stay lite while cranking
5.If in steps 3 and 4 those results are as mentioned then the wiring and electrical integrity of the circuit has the potential to operate normally and is okay and those results would lead you to a bad fuel pump.
6. however if test light fails to light in anyone of the above steps then check fuse box and if the light fail to light up while cranking then you could have a bad stator/pick up in the distributor and or Tfi module but if you had a bad pick up in the distributor then you wouldn't have spark.......I assume you have verified via the proper methoods that you have spark and have narrowed your problem down to a fuel system issue???
Old 10-13-2007, 04:18 AM
jrt1990
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

You threw two parts at it now your giving up and going to real F up the car........ Man this issue can be simple to solve with patience and a test light here is how:
1. locate fuel pump harness connector = plugs into top of tank assembley and unplug
2. hook one end of test light to the neg side of connector and other to positive
3.with light hooked in series turn key to on position and watch for light to come on the test light briefly and go out
4.then crank engine and watch test light to stay lite while cranking
5.If in steps 3 and 4 those results are as mentioned then the wiring and electrical integrity of the circuit has the potential to operate normally and is okay and those results would lead you to a bad fuel pump.
6. however if test light fails to light in anyone of the above steps then check fuse box and if the light fail to light up while cranking then you could have a bad stator/pick up in the distributor and or Tfi module but if you had a bad pick up in the distributor then you wouldn't have spark.......I assume you have verified via the proper methoods that you have spark and have narrowed your problem down to a fuel system issue???
You say locate the positive and negative plugs on the fuel pump, but theres actually four plugs, what are the other two for?
Old 10-13-2007, 09:10 PM
musclemustang

dont forget to check the inertia switch also, ive had that problem before, its located in the trunk behind the carpet near the drivers side taillight on my 94, not sure about the fox bodies
Old 10-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

For a fox its behind the trim panel in the hatch/trunk on the left side. If you haven't reset this that its most likely the problem unless there is a fuse link somewhere.

Quick Reply: my fuel pump still wont kick on