5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Working on manifold now, injectors falling apart.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 10:49 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Working on manifold now, injectors falling apart.

settles..I agree BG PRODUCTS MAKE THE SH IT....use it maybe once years year 16.00 a can..it works....those 2-5 stuff is about the same additives that are already in the gas you buy so really wasting $$$$$$
Old 02-24-2005, 12:05 AM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

I like using the techron that is like $15.00 a bottle and I can always notice a diffrence within like 5 miles.Enough of a diffrence to snap the tires loose at moderate acceleration.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:49 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ok guys i was working on the manifold all day now and im tired, the hardest part was scraping off the old gaskets. i got the manifold on but i need a couple longer bolts so ill have to go to home depot tomorrow to get a few the right length. anyway when i was scraping the gasket material off the head it started to contaminate the lifter valley, i tried vacuuming the little particles but some of them couldnt be reached. i will just pray my oil filter will take care of those.

also, when i was tightening down one of the sensors in the new manifold the sensor had a hard time screwing in, it causes a very tiny surface crack to begin to propagate. i sanded down to see how intense this crack was and it seemed minimal and its just barely visible. i installed the manifold anyway, the crack wasnt visible from the other side and is only about a half inch long at most. i think im making it a big deal, or perhaps it is. anyway, tomorrow ill fire her up and post some results. by the way, there is a sensor that was on my stock manifold that my new manifold doesnt have a female thread to match it. i think its the MAP sensor, i had no where to screw this device into so i left the plug out. i dont think this will hurt anything as the sensor was badely corroded internally anyway, it looked not functional as it is.

ill keep the updates coming.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:57 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

i forgot to add, when i was pulling out the injectors ever so gently, the plastic tips just crumbled as the injectors came out. what do i do without these plastic tips (not the O-rings, the plastic nipple things). personally i dont think they do anything except protect the injector from vibration. i am unsure though.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:24 AM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

The plastic tips are the caps and need to be replaced if cracked or broken. The crack in the manifold is probably from cross threading the sensor and that is why you had a hard time screwing it in. The other sensor you are talking about is probably the ACT sensor, the MAP is usually mounting on the fire wall by the vacuum tree. When you do fire it up, check the crack for vacuum leaks, also replace the injector hats they are there for a reason. And you can relocate the ACT (if that is what it is) to the air intake tube right before the throttle body. You will need to extend the wires though, if it is the ACT it will be small ( about 1.5 inches) and come to a point on the end with threads. A picture would be nice, is this a GT40 manifold you are putting back on?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Predator
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like you might need to replace some of the injectors, so check the prices and see if you could get new(er) ones or maybe larger (I imagine yours are #19 since you said look stock), I have seen some #24s on ebay for 120ish or less. Might be worth it.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Xpipe

ORIGINAL: whiteyford0212

whatever u do dont f*ck up those rubber rings
why what would happen i think i installed my injectors without them[:-]
Old 02-25-2005, 12:20 AM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

Can you say "GAS BATH"?
Old 02-25-2005, 12:44 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure, but I don't think bolts from Home Depot would work. They will fit, but they are not specially designed to withstand the temperatures in an engine and they might loosen on you. Just what I think though.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:43 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

the upper manifold bolts dont need to withstand large amounts of torsional and axial stress like the heavy torqued down lower manifold or head bolts. i bought the home depot bolts and usin them now, works ok !!!

Quick Reply: Working on manifold now, injectors falling apart.