5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Over heating!! : (

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:01 AM
djcondo
2nd Gear Member

Default Over heating!! : (

Ok so i dont know where the radiator fluid is leaking from. I think that the fluid is leaking from my over flow bottle. I Bought a summit generic overflow tank and it has an open top. is it a presherized system?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:19 PM
djcondo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Over heating!! : (

i have changed all of the water pump gaskets and timing chain gaskets. i really do not think that it is going out from any on the hoses and i am just really confused. i keep thinking that i fix it and then it all pours out and i start to over heat. any help on how this should work or why it might be leaking.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:52 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Mine was boiling out of the overflow too.
I ended up having to replace a bad fan clutch and getting an air pocket out of the cooling system.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:59 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

when does it over heat?? driving down the road or sitting still and or in stop and go traffic??
Old 10-15-2007, 02:03 PM
djcondo
2nd Gear Member

highway. long driving
Old 10-15-2007, 02:04 PM
djcondo
2nd Gear Member

i dont even have a fan clutch, so i guess it might be a bubble, how do i bleed it or get all of the bubbbles out
Old 10-15-2007, 02:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

fan clutch won't come into play on overheat issues that are highway driving related because the air flow across the radiator is sufficient to cool the fluid in radiator.........you can turn your heater on high and as long as you have good and hot heat there shouldn't be any air bubbles in it.....but possible........make sure there are no blockages in front of the radiator or plugged up fins on radiator due to bugs and crap..... if that is all clean then I'd lead towards a bad radiator cap that is not popping off excess pressure at 16lbs which if it doesn't it'll allow the coolant to get hotter and raises boiling point as the pressure gets greater and therfore car will run hotter.......if your radiator cap is new look for a partially restricted radiator and if that isn't the case and T-stat is new...then I'd perform a block check and test for hydrocarbons in the cooling system which would indicate a blown head gasket!!!!! there ya' go hope I've covered most of the bases for ya'!!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:00 AM
djcondo
2nd Gear Member

but the only reason that it runs hot is because it runs out of coolent. i just have no idea why it is leaky, i will look into the cap though. it has a new thermo in it, its a 180
Old 10-16-2007, 12:14 PM
bamaroxz
2nd Gear Member

How about the heater core. Check your passenger side floorboard and see if it is wet under the dash. That may be your leak.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:00 PM
djcondo
2nd Gear Member

yeah thats what i thought too. when i was over heating i turned the heat on and it didnt make a difference and the air that was blowing out of it was not hot, but this was because it prob ran dry too. As for leaking out of the h/c thats not the case b/c i can see the fluid by my battery try and comming out of my hood scoop. (it steeda so it comes out rite above the bat tray.) is not jsut doing that b/c it hits my fan ither, im pretty sure that it is comming out of my overflow bottle.

Quick Reply: Over heating!! : (