5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cali Smog Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:30 AM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cali Smog Sucks!

sum tips on passing, i used 91 did a oil change, and changed plugs and put stock cats back on, i got he cats really hot drove it hard for like 30 min then droped it off and i barely passed ahah, my hC and nox were out the roof , but i have on mine
ive got a e cam, bbk headers pullyes , cai , and i still passed =P so there is hope, but thats the last time im goin to get my car smoged, i think it would be better to just pay off the guy and get rid of all the smog crap on your car make it a hell of a lot easier to work on it, im paying the next guy off because i wanna get long tubes and slps, my friend is the guiney pig hes finding the places hes got a 347 stroker in his car and wont pass by at all, so im gonna wait for him to find a guy that will bypass us and then ill go to him
Old 10-17-2007, 04:03 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

California's smog restrictions keep getting tighter and tigher. And the smog laws in this state actually have VERY little to do with minimizing pollution, and very MUCH to do with the state making money. The ironic part is that this retarded state has acutally done about 10,000x MORE to harm the environment than help it. Years ago California mandated the use of MTBE in fuel as an additive to reduce pollution during combustion....the oil companies wanted to do more research before they started adding an additive that they knew very little about to the fuel. The state told them to stop making excuses, with the obligatory lines about how the oil companies are just out for profit and care nothing about the environment. So the oil companies were forced at THEIR expense, under state mandate("we order you to build this with your money" that's a wtf if ever there was one) build the MTBE additive plants in their refineries, and of course they cost 10's of millions to build.

Well, turns out the state should have listened to oil oil companies about doing research on an additive that no one really knew anything about. The state discovered years AFTER they mandated MTBE use that it was highly corrosive to the seals and liners in the underground tanks at most of the gas stations in the state, so they leaked out into California's ground water, and as a result about 50% of the drinkable water in California was contaminated and became carcinogenic. Which of course means there's an added expense to the taxpayers for the treatment plants that have to work overtime to compensate. Another side effect was that many of the mom and pop gas stations went out of business, because the state mandated by 2004(I think that was when the time was up) all gas stations had to have new fuel tankes that could deal with the corrosive properties of MTBE. Many couldn't afford it so the small privately owned gas stations were forced to sell to the companies that could afford the several hundred thousand per station to retrofit(Shell, Exxon/Mobil etc). Not only that, but they learned that MTBE is easily absorbed in the skin, and the quanities in the fuel are enough that direct contact with gasoline(in California anyway) has a high risk of cancer. High enough that fuel pumps are now requiered by law to state they may contain MTBE which is a known carcinogen. and it turns out that MTBE really doesn't do anything to clean up the air ANYWAY(which utterly defeats the purpose of using it).

So, now MTBE is no longer used(for the most part, I think they may be phasing it out). The air never got cleaner, half the state's ground water was contaminated, a bunch of people prolly got cancer, many privately owned gas stations in California went belly up, and the refineries have unused MTBE plants that they had to spend 10's of millions building, that they are STILL depreciating and they're never going to make any money on them. A cost which in the end gets passed on to the consumer. And out tax dollars had to go to dealing with the environmental catastrophe that MTBE caused.

That's California's version of environmental protection. And the smog system is no different, it's just another beauracracy that California uses to make money. The smog laws are less about clean air and more about income. This state is so retarded
Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 AM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Wow... to the post on top.

so anybody? 87 or 91 and why?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:16 PM
stangman94
4th Gear Member

Man you guys make me glad I live in a smog free zone.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:23 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I may live in California, but there's a reason I drive a Mustang that's almost 10 years outside the smog cutoff. The new governer ain't TOO, badbut he did sign a rediculous environmental bill a little while back, requiring a 60% reduction in Carbon emissions over the next 10 years in the state, and the only way that will happen is if we cut both driving and electricity production by about 60% [>:]

As far as fuel, it would depend. Either could be fine, but on a higher compression car where the computer takes timing out to prevent knock, the higher octane fuel would allow for more timing and more efficient combustion, but the speed at which the engine runs and the load when they test it may not be enough for the computer to retard the timing. A tune up will do you more good, do what others have mentioned, really go through and get it running really nice, that'll help a lot.

Or just buy a 1975 or older car and not worry about smog ever again
Old 10-17-2007, 12:31 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

Or just buy a 1975 or older car and not worry about smog ever again
I have a 1969 Mustang coupewith a 429cj

The5.0 is my DD
Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

ya do like cali but i dont like the smog crap, its such a pain, some places i go to will be like, totally against the smog laws and just say hell ya will chop the cats off for ya or pass you, other places wont even touch your car if you have no cats, cai etc,
Old 10-17-2007, 02:20 PM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

Cali is a prime example of what happens when you let liberals get too much power. They took the state with some of the best weather in the country and ruined everything else.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:43 PM
88natchback
1st Gear Member

G-zus, what kinda bs do they make you cali guys go through?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:02 PM
86whitepony
2nd Gear Member

my ford tech teacher said use some e-85 ethanol that you can get at your nearest supermarket, put about 1-1.5 gallons of the ethanol in your 15.4 gallon tank NO MORE!! and all your hc's will be so low it's rediculous, and that made my 86 fox pass with no cats

Quick Reply: Cali Smog Sucks!