5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starter engagement problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:32 AM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Starter engagement problems

OK, little confused here, What year is the tranny? You said you have it in a 67? Is it that ea trans as well? The older trans had different starters for auto and stick. What starter are you using and on which trans?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:47 AM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, don't worry about the 67 though. This is just a late 80's combo (T5 and 5.0) thrown into a 67.

I believe the bellhousing and tranny are from 92 and the engine is from 88 or something.. I will get more part numbers tonight. Thanks guys!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:04 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

so you really dont see a problem with having the snout broken like it is? are you serious?
i highly doubt you've tryed 5 different starters. i can see your problem just from the picture.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:28 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

No, what I'm saying is the starters comeout like that (Sigh.. yes, the previous owner tried 5 different starters, and I tried two in the past two days.. We're not lying to impress you or something.. sheesh).

Someone told me that the starters are ground like that at ford? There is nothing back there that could be hitting it, according to my measurements..

Where could I find the bellhousing stampings?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:33 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

they arent ground like that from the factory. with that piece missing, the starter shaft is capable of flexing towards the flywheel as you engage it, which would cause a low speed and overheat of the wires.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:41 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

But the starters go in new and come out like that it seems. The bellhousing is E6ZR-6394, flywheel is E6ZR-AA and the engine is E7TE.. so these SHOULD work together. The block plate seems to be bent a little around the starter, but I think I did that (I think it would have been straight when the PO had it, with the same problem) and I'd think the starter would crush it down?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:45 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

maybe its the angle of the picture, but that bellhousing doesn't look near deep enough to hold that starter.
are you sure they are going in all the way?

Old 10-18-2007, 12:54 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Yup, bolts down. I'd even pull the tranny off right now if that would help me diagnose but obviously I can't bolt the starter to the engine without the bellhousing.. Although, think if I took the tranny off the bellhousing and bolted the bellhousing up I could see whats going on?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:55 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

sounds like a plan to me.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:44 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

I wonder if I'll be able to see anything, but I guess I don'y have many options left. I'm going to rub some crayon or something on it and see if it transfers over to the teeth. Now, is it possible to pull the tranny and leave the bellhousng on (Tranny comes off with 4 bolts, n'est pas?) or will that screw up the clutch fork or throwout bearing or spill them in there or something?

Quick Reply: Starter engagement problems