5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

WHATS THE HP GAIN STOCK TO GT40 HEADS

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 05:18 PM
westrides
1st Gear Member

Default RE: WHATS THE HP GAIN STOCK TO GT40 HEADS

they are off a 96 explorer and 97 and later are the p heads mine are not the p heads they are regular gt heads non p they have gt casted on the front and they only have 3 lines on the front and back of the heads and the p's have 4 and are stamped gtp
Old 02-25-2005, 05:27 PM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dbeck002

gt40 heads from an explorer are called GT40P heads which are different than the GT40X and GT40Y. The P versions have higher compression but the header bolt pattern WILL NOT fit a stock 5.0 pattern, basically all aftermarket headers for that matter as well. you will need to find special headers to fit the 5.0 with the GT40P heads. Those heads can give you a decent 50 HP with a mild cam.

You will need to convert to mass air if you plan on doing this. or i doubt your car will even run when you bolt those heads on in a speed density car. The intake will work on your car but again you must convert to the MAF system.
so why must u convert to mass air, and why wouldn't his car even run?? i'm a newbie to most things especially conversions
Old 02-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: settled4automatic

gt40 heads from an explorer are called GT40P heads which are different than the GT40X and GT40Y. The P versions have higher compression but the header bolt pattern WILL NOT fit a stock 5.0 pattern, basically all aftermarket headers for that matter as well. you will need to find special headers to fit the 5.0 with the GT40P heads. Those heads can give you a decent 50 HP with a mild cam.

You will need to convert to mass air if you plan on doing this. or i doubt your car will even run when you bolt those heads on in a speed density car. The intake will work on your car but again you must convert to the MAF system.
so why must u convert to mass air, and why wouldn't his car even run?? i'm a newbie to most things especially conversions

heres how speed density works. the computer in a SD car is pre-programmed with a set number of variables.

When the throttle is at X degrees, then Y amount of air SHOULD be flowing into the engine and the injectors shall inject Z amount of fuel.

of course there are air temp sensors and other little things that make SD a little more accurate than just throttle position, because air temp has a lot to do with the amount of air going into the engine, SD has some more neat variables in the ECU to account for any driving condition basically. EXCEPT MODS.

When you begin to mod the engine with intake/heads/cam mods the computer will think that X amount of air is flowing into the engine when in reality its not, because the heads and intake flow more air thus tricking the computer. That is why SD doesnt take mods well unless you reburn the SD ECU.

How MAF works. Mass Air Flow measures empirically how much air is flowing into the engine. there are no pre-set variables. The way MAF works is by using a very tiny resistor in the MAF tube, this resistor is under an applied voltage. The computer knows that at a certain voltage this resistor is at a certain temperature. As more air flows over this tiny resistor it cools it down and the computer must add a little more voltage to keep it at its temperature. this is how the computer knows how much air is FLOWING into the engine. and regardless of air temp outside or elevation, the MASS of air is proportional to the temperature of the resistor in the MAF unit. so the computer gets an accurate reading everytime. This is why MAF cars can take mods up the ***, because the more mods you do the more the air flows, makes no difference to the MAF sensor you see.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:41 PM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

As you said is how I read "The P versions have higher compression but the header bolt pattern WILL NOT fit a stock 5.0 pattern, basically all aftermarket headers for that matter as well."

And so I mearly cleared up to those who do not know, that it is not the bolt pattern that is the problem it is spark plug clearance. Not trying to start anything here, just trying to be helpful.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:45 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

i have a cam and stuff like that and my sd computer did not bitch about it at all, and tuning was not hard ither, i think you just have to know how it works, also you make a lil more power with mass air thats y im switchin.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:49 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: birdman076

As you said is how I read "The P versions have higher compression but the header bolt pattern WILL NOT fit a stock 5.0 pattern, basically all aftermarket headers for that matter as well."

And so I mearly cleared up to those who do not know, that it is not the bolt pattern that is the problem it is spark plug clearance. Not trying to start anything here, just trying to be helpful.

no problem...

ah yes you are right it is the spark plug angle, not the bolt pattern...
Old 02-26-2005, 02:02 AM
westrides
1st Gear Member

the plugs on my gt40 heads are on the same angle as my old heads
Old 02-26-2005, 02:15 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: westrides

the plugs on my gt40 heads are on the same angle as my old heads

then they are not P heads and did not come from an explorer!!! [&:]
Old 02-26-2005, 02:36 AM
westrides
1st Gear Member

the engine is complete pan to gt40 intake from a 96 explorer
Old 02-26-2005, 02:41 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: westrides

the engine is complete pan to gt40 intake from a 96 explorer

hmm thats odd, i would imagine it had GT40P's...

Quick Reply: WHATS THE HP GAIN STOCK TO GT40 HEADS