5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cleaning up engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:32 AM
elite130
2nd Gear Member

Default Cleaning up engine bay

I'm planning on pulling the engine this winter to clean it up from 19 years worth of oil build-up. While I have the engine out, I would like to clean up the engine bay by hiding wires, painting parts, and painting the engine bay black (the car is white, engine bay is a very dirty white). I noticed there are lots of small holes all around the engine bay from when the car was being made. I would like tofill these holes and prep them for paint.

Myquestion is, what should I use tofill these holes? I know welding them is probably the best, but I'm not a welder. Could I use JB weld to fill them? Suggestions please!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:34 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: Cleaning up engine bay

fiberglass it if your not going to weld.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:44 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Permatex makes a liquid metal filler... or you could JBweld
Old 10-22-2007, 01:25 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

The hardest part will be getting all that junk off.

I used a pressure washer, sprayinghot water , with a 60/ 40 applying crud cutter.

Ill will go everywhere lol.

If you have the money, use a scaler to remove paint/rust etc on the areas where the holes are and the seems,then weld everything up. Grind em smooth , putty and sand etc.

1 spool of wire should do , or a few sticks.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:46 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

this guy is your best friend when welding, removing rust, paint, dirt, grime etc in hard to reach places instantly without having to remove all your wiring.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:49 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

personally I would think jb weld would crack over time especially with the vibrations of a v8 I say do it right the first time by welding or dont bother doing it at all thas just IMO.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:40 PM
andywear87
2nd Gear Member

i was wondering if anyone on here had pics of the whole process like which wires they tucked where and where they put alot of the stuff like selinoid coil
Old 10-22-2007, 04:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: andywear87

i was wondering if anyone on here had pics of the whole process like which wires they tucked where and where they put alot of the stuff like selinoid coil
check this thread on turbomustangs.... its my buddy Aaron's Notch

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...;topic=66694.0
Old 10-22-2007, 05:32 PM
andywear87
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the link that car is gonna be killer when he gets it done. i want my engine bay to look like his it is very clean. tell him congrats on the car and get that bitch done. he got a super clean fox
Old 10-22-2007, 07:49 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: elite130

I'm planning on pulling the engine this winter to clean it up from 19 years worth of oil build-up. While I have the engine out, I would like to clean up the engine bay by hiding wires, painting parts, and painting the engine bay black (the car is white, engine bay is a very dirty white). I noticed there are lots of small holes all around the engine bay from when the car was being made. I would like tofill these holes and prep them for paint.

Myquestion is, what should I use tofill these holes? I know welding them is probably the best, but I'm not a welder. Could I use JB weld to fill them? Suggestions please!
Hopefully this might sway you toward painting your engine bay White rather than Black[:@]

As far as hiding wires take a look at my site it’s something I did over 7+ yrs ago, just click on MY CAR in my signature below.
As for being a welder neither am I, as you can plainly see for yourself in those pics on my site; that was my very first attempt at welding anything but it worked out.
I’ve read where you can use a tape on the backside of the hole and use Duraglass on the inside of the engine bay, which might be another alternative to welding.
Just suggestions.

Quick Reply: Cleaning up engine bay