5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Heres what Im thinking.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:31 PM
millert/a

Default Heres what Im thinking.....

Car has 160,XXX miles on it. 94 5.0 still pulls very hard. Im wanting to put BBK shorties on it. Offroad h-pipe, 3.73's, Pullies, and lowering springs. Do you think it would be safe to do all this to this motor or not? Ive seen the rebuiding kits on summit but I just wanted opinions on what I should do?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Heres what Im thinking.....

If it still runs good i dont see why not
Old 10-24-2007, 10:58 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Those mods won't hurt the motor, but it really should be rebuilt now or it's gonna cost more if you do it later. Every 302 that I've torn apart that had over 160K had considerable main bearing wear... the cranks were still OK, but much longer and then the journals would need some work and that can get expensive. Because then you may have to balance it. Also, after excessive wear, the cylinders need to be bored and then you need new pistons... more money. If you rebuild it now, you can probably use the same pistons and crank without too much machine work.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:12 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

ive got bbk shorties, off road h pipe, u/d pulleys,3.55 and lowered springs (cut them though) with 150k on it and my engine is fine for the time being, with a lot more mods to go...
Old 10-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Dave5point0
2nd Gear Member

160xxx miles with a grandma driving it and 160xxx miles with someone that beats the crap out of it, are two different things. You should be safe but at the first hint of any funny noises tear it down and build it bigger, better, and safer.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:29 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: capri debris

Those mods won't hurt the motor, but it really should be rebuilt now or it's gonna cost more if you do it later. Every 302 that I've torn apart that had over 160K had considerable main bearing wear... the cranks were still OK, but much longer and then the journals would need some work and that can get expensive. Because then you may have to balance it. Also, after excessive wear, the cylinders need to be bored and then you need new pistons... more money. If you rebuild it now, you can probably use the same pistons and crank without too much machine work.
I have to agree... just for ha ha's I mic'ed my cam and bearings in my stock block, and plastigage'd the bottom end... I coulda slapped a new set of bearings in there and continued running my stock shortblock
Old 10-25-2007, 12:21 AM
millert/a

So would you guys suggest something like this?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

or not?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

once you find a shop that can do the work for you
Old 10-25-2007, 07:04 AM
millert/a

So that rebuild kit would be fine to use you think? I have a shop thats local that can do the job so thats no problem. I like buying from summit they've always treated me well with my trans am so Id like to keep my parts buying from them.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:31 AM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

My machine shop told me that if you switch from stock pistons, to forged, you have to have the crank balanced, which was an extra 250.00 bucks. So I went with hyper's and just had the crank turned.

you can pick up a 5.0 pretty cheap these days. I would sy run it till it dies, and if parts need to be replaced, buy some used but good stuff off the net. Hell I have a spare crank and E7 heads in my garage that I just plan on throwing away cause I cant even give them away.

Quick Reply: Heres what Im thinking.....