5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Something is not right

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 07:52 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default Something is not right

I replaced my dig box with the same kind. And also replaced my dizzy gear. Stabbed dizzy at TDC. The car runs great, but only @ 0 degree's BTDC. When i advance it to 16, which is what i used to run it at, it dosnt want tofire and the starter drags. At 0 it fire's up great and run's great except it smoke's. I have been messing with it for a few day's. I cant understand the timing thing. My dizzy is locked out and i have alway's ran 16 BTDC for a total of 33 total timing. The ign. box is a MSD digital 6, which is the same as before. It was my mistake as to why i fried the first box. I replaced plugs with same as i was running before. Took carb off and adjusted. Any idea's? I feel it is something simple but i cant figure it out.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:29 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Something is not right

try 10 degrees
Old 10-28-2007, 09:45 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Anything above 5 or 6 degrees and itcut's out and wont restart. I have always run the same timing, that is why i dont understand this. The only thing's i replaced were the box, with an identical one and the dizzy gear. Maybe this will enlighten somebody. When i got number one to TDC and installed dizzy, the car would not fire up and the starter would drag. Well i retarded timing by turning dizzy ccw and it started immediatly. I checked timing and i had retarded it to around 5 degree's, so i bump it up and have the starting problem. Could i have installed it a couple of teeth off and that is why it runs good at 0 timing. I have never had a problem stabbing dizzy correctly, but maybe i screwed up. When i was on the compression stroke my pointer was lined up on 0. But it did not start untill i rotated distributor, and when i rotated distributor and checked timing i was still on zero. If i screwed up and somehow installed dizzy on exhaust stroke, would the car run at all? I am going to do it again tommorow to see if i did it incorrectly. I have done many with no problems, so now maybe i am taking it for granted i was right this time too. I will see tom. The sfibalancer should be right, it is only about 8 mos old. I just dont know why it runs as good as it do's with it being @ 0 degree's. I will try it again after work.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:51 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

put your finger in the spark plug hole.

Rotate to 0, when you feel that air wanting to blow your finger and your at zero, , check the pointer to be at number one, youll see its all the way somewhere else
Old 10-28-2007, 10:16 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

At this point, i hope that it is where it should not be. That way i have found my problem. If that is it, i have learned a good lesson: doesn't matter how familiar you think you are at doing something, you could still be wrong.