5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Lost the Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:03 AM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

Default Lost the Tranny

Friday night my T-5 finally went out. The synchros were already going bad, especially from 1st to2nd butI drove to see my gf in pittsburg and when i came home and pulled into my driveway it wouldn't go into reverse. I should of had it rebuilt before we put it in cause the guy before was running it with slicks and the stock clutch. So now it has to come out and i was just wondering what you guys thought i will pay for a rebuild and a good gaurantee?Also,how much hp can the 85 t-5 hold stock,at the most i'm going to try to getup to 310-320horsesnext summer, and i wanna know if it needs to be built for it.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:18 AM
65coupe88hatch
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Lost the Tranny

I just got my T-5 rebuilt...I orginally was going to get mine rebuilt....as soon as the man looked at the gearing he told me it needed everything not just the T-5 kit i bought to rebuild it (planned to do it myself but became overwhelmed) But he told me he could get me a fully rebuild one with a one year warranty unlimited miles for $1,200.00 No taxe because there was a set back (the company he got it from sent a T-56 by mistake and it took a couple more days to get it) but that was the best deal I could find in my area. He told me nomatter where you go you wont find much else guarantee wise due to how people run them he mentioned alotta people run em to the ground and claim it was fault from the company and they stopped with longer warranties. Hope my troubles helped haha.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:26 AM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 65coupe88hatch

I just got my T-5 rebuilt...I orginally was going to get mine rebuilt....as soon as the man looked at the gearing he told me it needed everything not just the T-5 kit i bought to rebuild it (planned to do it myself but became overwhelmed) But he told me he could get me a fully rebuild one with a one year warranty unlimited miles for $1,200.00 No taxe because there was a set back (the company he got it from sent a T-56 by mistake and it took a couple more days to get it) but that was the best deal I could find in my area. He told me nomatter where you go you wont find much else guarantee wise due to how people run them he mentioned alotta people run em to the ground and claim it was fault from the company and they stopped with longer warranties. Hope my troubles helped haha.
yeah, thanks. that's what i figured, i do know a guy in my areathat built a trans for my friends full drag dakota and told him that if he good break anything in the transmission that he would fix it free of charge. It cost a little over $2000 (kinda over my price range as i'm broke anyway) but the guy really stands behind his work.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 AM
65coupe88hatch
4th Gear Member

Same with the guy we took ours too, my dad had a 1990 f250 tranny died in like 98 took it to this guy, he rebuilt it and the trucks still going no problems ever since. Do some research before you go anywhere unless you know from experience about the garages work. We looked at a few other places and everyones price range was around $1,600.00- $1,800.00
Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Richter12x2
1st Gear Member

The Eagle Transmission in Lewisville rebuilt the tranny in my RX-7 for $600ish, cheaper because I pulled it myself and brought it to them. I don't know if they're a nationwide chain or just a local chain, but they did decent work. They even painted the housings for me while it was apart.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:05 PM
65coupe88hatch
4th Gear Member

yeah i had mine already pulled from the car too
Old 10-29-2007, 02:43 PM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

I would not pay that much for a t-5. you can but a new astro performance for that price. also rebuilding them is not as hard as it looks. i havent done one but i will when mine needs to be redone.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:29 PM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

yeah i had mine already pulled from the car too
i will have to pull mine as well. there is no way i'm going to let them try anyway, i don't think they will think too kindly of our "custom" transmission mounts and member. And i'd like to work on the car while they fix the tranny. wait, how much is a good rebuild kit for one of these? If it's really cheap i might convince myself to do it myself. otherwise it might be cheaper just to pay them labor. i've heard of shops in my area rebuilding manuals for as cheap as $700, hopefully that is the case with my t-5
Old 10-29-2007, 03:49 PM
65coupe88hatch
4th Gear Member

I paid $250.00 bucks for my rebuild kit from cjponyparts. being new to trannies i thought id be able to rebuild it but i ran into a problem with a gear and turns out all the gears but 5th were bad, and it was cheaper to just get a new rebuilt one rather than dump more money into the cripled one i have. If you need a rebuild kit ill sell you mine, i have no use for it now since i got the other tranny.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:59 PM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

I paid $250.00 bucks for my rebuild kit from cjponyparts. being new to trannies i thought id be able to rebuild it but i ran into a problem with a gear and turns out all the gears but 5th were bad, and it was cheaper to just get a new rebuilt one rather than dump more money into the cripled one i have. If you need a rebuild kit ill sell you mine, i have no use for it now since i got the other tranny.
i hope mine isn't that bad, i'm going to do some research but i might just get back to you on that

Quick Reply: Lost the Tranny