5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

carb vs fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:03 PM
djcondo
2nd Gear Member

Default carb vs fuel injection

i have fuel injection now and i am new to playing with fuel injection. It seems like it would be so much simpler to just swap to a carb on my 92. Is there alot that needs to be done or is it basically just change the intake with a carb intake manifold, re route some fuel lines and linkage or is a whole lot harder to do. would i loose power if i did this? my engine is stock basically. it jsut seems cheaper to do and my friend has the intake.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Dave5point0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: carb vs fuel injection

The reason everything went from carb to f.i. is because of horsepower, reliability, and tuning. It would involve more work then you think, and i don't think its a good idea. If you were doing a ground up build for "pinks" or something and you build it big then it might be an ok idea for a track car but not daily driver.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 PM
GaryBisiniere
3rd Gear Member

ya i switched to carb because it was cheaper at the time and now i regret it and i am switching back!
Old 10-31-2007, 07:58 PM
psyche116
1st Gear Member

you wouldn't probably lose power, per say. but you would lose a bit of reliability and probably (although not guaranteed) lose a bit of gas mileage. and carbs don't like starting in the cold.

to make the switch, though, in addition to what you have listed, you need to get a new fuel pump all set up for the much lower carburetor fuel pressures or at least a regulator of some sort.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: psyche116

you wouldn't probably lose power, per say. but you would lose a bit of reliability and probably (although not guaranteed) lose a bit of gas mileage. and carbs don't like starting in the cold.

to make the switch, though, in addition to what you have listed, you need to get a new fuel pump all set up for the much lower carburetor fuel pressures or at least a regulator of some sort.
[sm=wtf.gif] Reliability lost......I don't think so not out of a carbed car...if anything there is less to go wrong and it's more reliable and quicker to troubleshoot...fuel injection on the other hand may be more efficient but if you know how to tune a carbed car which most of the fulie guys have no clue how a carb even works so these absurd assumptions and conclusions are often drawn.......and my carb car starts right up in the cold!! you wanna know why that is???? that's because I know how to properly tune the choke circuit.....most guys I see with carbed cars are youngins who don't even know what the choke looks like on the carberator so they didn't bother to hook it up........but if you set the choke right it can function to allow easier cold starts......but I would agree that efi cars do it all via sensors and the ecm which allows you to hop in and go with out any hesitations......but don't count us carbed guys out cause you don't understand theroy and operation of a carb.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

ORIGINAL: psyche116

[sm=wtf.gif] Reliability lost......I don't think so not out of a carbed car...if anything there is less to go wrong and it's more reliable and quicker to troubleshoot...fuel injection on the other hand may be more efficient but if you know how to tune a carbed car which most of the fulie guys have no clue how a carb even works so these absurd assumptions and conclusions are often drawn.......and my carb car starts right up in the cold!! you wanna know why that is???? that's because I know how to properly tune the choke circuit.....most guys I see with carbed cars are youngins who don't even know what the choke looks like on the carberator so they didn't bother to hook it up........but if you set the choke right it can function to allow easier cold starts......but I would agree that efi cars do it all via sensors and the ecm which allows you to hop in and go with out any hesitations......but don't count us carbed guys out cause you don't understand theroy and operation of a carb.
.... but you forgot one......

The reason everything went from carb to f.i. is because of horsepower, reliability, and tuning.
[sm=nono.gif] ....the real reason is called emissions, not HP or reliability.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Dave5point0
2nd Gear Member

Yea, number of carbed cars i've owned = 3
Number of carbed cars with tuning, starting, cold wheather, gas milage, and tons of other problems = 3

E.F.I. cars owned = 8
Number of e.f.i. cars with dumb problems = 0

Not that i like computers doing all the work but come on, its just natural progression, newer stuff works better most of the time, don't back date your car to the 1900's
Old 10-31-2007, 10:43 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Dave5point0

Yea, number of carbed cars i've owned = 3
Number of carbed cars with tuning, starting, cold wheather, gas milage, and tons of other problems = 3

E.F.I. cars owned = 8
Number of e.f.i. cars with dumb problems = 0

Not that i like computers doing all the work but come on, its just natural progression, newer stuff works better most of the time, don't back date your car to the 1900's
NUMBER of carbed cars I own =3
number of carb cars with tuning/cold weather issues = 0

number of FI cars owned = 5
number of times that dang CEL (CHECK ENGINE LIGHT)COMES ON = 5000000000000000000000000000000000

I agree fuel injected cars are more efficently operated because the computer is always keepin tabs on things as long as it works the way it was intended to.......All I was saying if you know theroy and operation of carbs and how to tune them they can be just as efficient......I can get my 92 carbed stang to get 22 to 25 to the gallon just as a FI stang does..infact that's what it does........It all boils down to tuners ability when working with a carbed car....Most people like fuelie cars cause it doesn't require much of their ability to tune..that is of course un less you have stand alone tuning programs but even that requires a degree of understanding....anyway that's all I was saying
Old 10-31-2007, 11:56 PM
Dave5point0
2nd Gear Member

Understood, not trying to rip on carbed cars, if i had the money to build a all motor track only car it would have a carb bigger them my head, but daily driving with limited tuning resourses i was just saying that a noob to the tuning aspect of it should think alot and get the right bang for the buck
Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

agreed!!!

Quick Reply: carb vs fuel injection