5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Exhaust Rich

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:18 PM
dahveed

Default Exhaust Rich

I noticed my exhaust is running rich. What can I do to fix this? The engine has been rebuilt - but no modifications made yet.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Rich

you might be able to put a fuel regulator on it and tune it down, but i do not understang why it is running rich with no mods
Old 03-01-2005, 08:17 AM
dahveed

:/ Thats not too encouraging. So with stock components, it should not ever run rich? Does this point to a possible problem? I'm not too sure what to do about this. The computer has been replaced. The fuel injectors got replaced (with stock equivalents). And the engine has been rebuilt like previously mentioned. Any other ideas on what it could be or what I could do about it?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:25 AM
mustang_mike_2003
1st Gear Member

first of all..what year is your car.. dose it have mas air?? i had a 86 without mas air and it ran rich all the time... just the way those setups run on (without any mods) so dont assume anthing... and dont be discuraged till you get the facts
Old 03-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

yeah dont get discuraged we will help you get it figured out, like mustang_mike asked, what year it the car, auto or standard trans, and anything else you think we should know, what injecotrs did you put in it? Ford? did you put a new fuel pump in it, if so what lph was it.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:39 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

a lot of SD cars ran a little on the rich side anyways
Old 03-01-2005, 07:06 PM
dahveed

Its a 90 GT, with an Auto tranny. I did not replace the fuel pump and the injectors are discount auto injectors (not sure if they are ford motorsport or not). It was one of those give them the part number off the fuel injectors and get the parts needed. At the time, I was having some problems and didn't pay too much attention to all that. Since I'm sure you are going to ask; the problems I had were eventually solved by replacing the computer, but here is a brief run down of what was happening.

When I got the car, it would occasionnally run a little rough - like it was mis-firing. Had a compression check done and it failed on two of the chambers. So I had the engine rebuilt (someone else did it while I was away at college). The rebuild got finished just after I returned from school. For a couple days, it drove like a dream. Then I started pumping a lot of white smoke out my exhaust. We thought it was oil (me and my mechanic friend) but I had full synthetic, which he did not think would burn, much less burn white. So he figured it was the fuel injectors, since the engine had just been rebuilt. I went with his experience and replaced the fuel injectors. It again ran good for a few days; and then the smoke coming out the exhaust was even worse. On top of that, the engine started running even rougher than before. His thought was the only things left that could cause it were sensors or the computer; so we replaced the computer. After doing so, it has run great. I just recently noticed the richness of the exhaust (I don't tend to leave it cranked when around it, and I don't tend to sit still while driving it). Anyway, perhaps this will help to bring forth some ideas. I was talking with a guy today that thought it could be the oxygen sensors on the exhaust have gone bad. Any thoughts?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:46 PM
dahveed

any thoughts?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:54 PM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

It could be O2's but I would pull codes before sinking any more money into it. As far as smoke goes, gas is black, antifreeze is usually white. ECT will also make the engine run like *** and be rich as well mine did it itermittently so I swapped the ECT and it runs much better with no intermittent miss.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:04 AM
dahveed

Yeah, mine runs great after throwing in a new comp (except for richness of exhaust). Not sure if it got wet in some past lifetime or what. Stupid computers...they will be our downfall. (and to think I work on computers all day...)

Quick Reply: Exhaust Rich