5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0 won't start/run with spout installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:08 PM
saltydogg
1st Gear Member

Default 5.0 won't start/run with spout installed

I've been troubleshooting a continuing shut-off and no start condition for some time now (thank God I have a second vehicle). I started by replacing the distributor because everything I read was pointing at the pickup or TFI module. The problem continued. I used to be able to drive the car and now it won't start at all.

I did a KOEO test and got an 18 which has something to do with the spout connector. I removed this connector to set the base timing (10*) when I replaced the distributor. I removed the connector and the car started and ran better than it has the last 20 times I've tried to start it. When I replace the spout connector the car will not start. Could my ECM be going bad? What other tests can I try to isolate the problem?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: 5.0 won't start with spout installed

WELL, first if the car won't start or stalls...you need to isolate the problem to the fuel or ignition system??? no aftermarket alarm right installed??? if not you nrrd to see if your losing fuel pressure or have none to eliminate the fuel system....to properly determine this you need a gauge hooke to the test port to monitor pressure...once you rule than out then you need to check for spark and when it dies see if you have spark and if not then trace back where the signal is being lost
Old 11-01-2007, 01:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

anything and everything in the DTC troubleshooting charts after a quick scroll through them leads to checking all ignition control module connections and pcm pin damaged or shorts to ground and or power......check all your wiring for any chaffed spots and or rubbed through areas....if all checks out then eventually it leads to an ecm replace but you need a dvom and access to all dtc troubleshooting charts to verify that
Old 11-01-2007, 01:28 PM
saltydogg
1st Gear Member

The car starts and runs with the spout connector removed so it must be ignition related.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:40 PM
butch86

Jigglethe keys in your ignition sometimes that will cause a no start issue when an ignition switch is going. Happened on my mustang.
I dont think the spout being in or out should cause a starting problem unless you recently played with your dist. double check your timing if it isnt the ignition switch
Old 11-01-2007, 01:47 PM
saltydogg
1st Gear Member

Jiggle the key has no effect...timing at 10* with spout removed (that's the only way it'll run).
Old 11-01-2007, 01:54 PM
butch86

the only other thing i could think of is it is shorting out somewhere in the ignition system. check your wires and grounds. a bad ground somewhere will make you rip your hair out tracing electrical gremlins start there first.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

i had the same problem after i took my car to pepboys, took it to a real mechanic and he told me pepboys killed my computer
Old 11-01-2007, 03:27 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nseoi

pepboys killed my computer
I have seen what the local pep girls mechanics look like around here and I wouldn't even let them air up my tires...
Old 11-01-2007, 03:44 PM
drivtech1974

I would check the spout wires for a short to the shielding if not its pcm time

Quick Reply: 5.0 won't start/run with spout installed