5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

quick question about camshafts for 5.0s

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:55 PM
borisdookie7
1st Gear Member

Default quick question about camshafts for 5.0s

well im on summit and i want to get new cams, and there is 4 different types for the 5.0

hydraulic roller
hydraulic flat
mechanical roller
mechanical flat

which one do i have? can i use them all? which is best for higher rpm use?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Stroked91
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: quick question about camshafts for 5.0s

what year motor u have
Old 11-02-2007, 05:01 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

your motor should be a hydrolic roller. are you sure you know what your looking for in a cam? usually people know if there car is a hydrolic roller, hydrolic flat, etc way before buying a cam. make sure you do a ton of research before buying. the roller/ flat part of the combo is refering to the lifters. if you like to adjust your lifters every 6 months or so then get the flat, most say way from flat unless they are only racing. you cant go wrong with hydo roller.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:06 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Yea just go with the hydraulic roller
Old 11-02-2007, 08:18 PM
LA95GT
1st Gear Member

yep, sound like you need to do alittle research. Dont just start ordering parts. But everyone has to start somewhere, this site is a very good place to find the info you need. Just list the mods you have done for your motor and ask what would be a good cam choice. Give it a few hours and you`ll have tons of input. As far a cam, dont just buy the biggest one you can get your hands on. And your motor more that likely is a hydraulic roller.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: vtecwho

your motor should be a hydrolic roller. are you sure you know what your looking for in a cam? usually people know if there car is a hydrolic roller, hydrolic flat, etc way before buying a cam. make sure you do a ton of research before buying. the roller/ flat part of the combo is refering to the lifters. most say way from flat unless they are only racing. you cant go wrong with hydo roller.if you like to adjust your lifters every 6 months or so then get the flat,

WRONG.........there is Hydraulic roller.......solid/ mechanicalroller= requires frequent valve adjusting..........flat tappet = fine for street and or strip use and mechanical flat tappet = require frequent valve adjusting.......any lifter that carries the title of solid and or mechanical is that which requires frequent valve adjustment because there is no self internal lash adjuster which is controled by oil pressure and a spring
Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 PM
borisdookie7
1st Gear Member

cool thanks for all the help guys. sry its a 91, its stock right now but im planning to go supercharged, thats why i wanted to know about the cams, im coming from hondas, so i never knew about all these other things, yea this forum has been great to me, ive learned so much, i have $6,000 to play with so i want to start building the motor, so hydro roller is the way to go right? i dont want to keep adjusting the valves.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:54 PM
borisdookie7
1st Gear Member

what do you guys think of this one?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...ew=1&N=700+
Old 11-02-2007, 09:55 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

For $6k you could do a really nice h/c/i and get some good internals, better pistons and rods, and set it up for a supercharger later. Sticking a blower on a stock engine is basically gonna get you the same power as doing a good h/c/i. If you do the h/c/i and internals now, then stick a blower on later when you have more money you'll make a crapload of power in the long run
Old 11-02-2007, 09:57 PM
borisdookie7
1st Gear Member

with these springs

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Quick Reply: quick question about camshafts for 5.0s