5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

highbeams HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 05:46 PM
16FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

Default highbeams HELP!!

Ok well all my lights work, parking and driving lights or w/e. But when i push the lever out for the HB's the lights shut off, but if i pull the lever towards me and hold it, they work, TELL ME WHATS WRONG PLEASE!! its driving me nuts
Old 03-01-2005, 06:05 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

Default RE: highbeams HELP!!

thats kinda odd, your bulbs still are fine becasue if u hold it back they r on..hmm...is there a fude for them maybe? sounds like that could be the porblem! not sure man, confusing one. hope someone here has the answer for ya
Old 03-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Mustang5.0_GT
3rd Gear Member

When you Push the high Beams there saposed to stay on Hi beams , and when you pull them there a little brighter but they obviously wont stay .. you must have a wire somewhere wired wrong with your lgihts thats the only thing it can be
Old 03-02-2005, 12:17 AM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a short in the multi-function switch. If it pulls too much current, it'll kick the breaker which will self-reset later. Or if it's bad it may break the circuit shut the lights off and pull zero curent.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:45 AM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

Hey my car Does the exact same thing. When you push the stick foward to keep the HB's on it shuts off all the lights, But when you pull it back the brights come on.I have the same problem But it drives me nuts also, I just dont use my Brights until I really need to, then I just hold the handle back.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:05 AM
16FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

yea same, im just gonna use my driving and fog lights, it looks cool anyway, since there the yellow fogs and smoke headlights, nowhere around here reall requires BH's, cept my own street of course cuz we have no street lights, but i know the street and my other lights will be fine, so screw it
Old 03-02-2005, 02:54 AM
bmorrisj
3rd Gear Member

its either time for a new multifunction switch, as one of the pins and whatever connected to it could be burnt, or the harness is melted....or both...

Old 03-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Predator
2nd Gear Member

I have a problem with my fog lights, when I turn them on, they (and all the other lights) stay on, but after a while, they will all go off (except lights inside). Then after 5-25 sec, they come on again. There is no large bump or anything like that I go over when this happens. Needless to say I don't use my fogs much/ever. Anyclue...fuse?
Old 03-02-2005, 10:48 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

sounds like the circuit breaker is tripping and then resetting itself after a few seconds. you need to check the wiring for a frayed wire or something else causing a short circuit which is tripping the circuit breaker.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:39 AM
bc_stang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmorrisj

its either time for a new multifunction switch, as one of the pins and whatever connected to it could be burnt, or the harness is melted....or both...

bingo.pretty common for the connectors to melt or even the switch.
if connectors look ok and pins arent burnt or anything it sounds like multi function switch itself.

Quick Reply: highbeams HELP!!