5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stock rocker question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default stock rocker question

ok so i ground down the stock rockers for clearance. went pretty smooth. and it looks like it willdo just fine.i used my bench grinder for this job which went well. do you thin it would be needed to buff that rockers where i grinded? do i need to coat them with ceramic paint? ford didnt say anything about buffing or painting them, i just want to make sure that i dont get metal shavings in my valve train.

also can someone post the site or thread about setting the rockers. how to rotate to proper position, what to torque down to, that kind of stuff.i cant find it, i forget what thread it was on. i should be able to set them and maybe start the stang up for the first time in about 4 months.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:25 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: stock rocker question

run them over a wire wheel to remove any debris, and no, you do not need to paint them. They are going to get covered in oil anyway
Old 11-08-2007, 02:29 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

run them over a wire wheel to remove any debris, and no, you do not need to paint them. They are going to get covered in oil anyway
thanks adder. i found the post i needed for the setting rockers. hopefully this works out ok...lol
Old 11-08-2007, 02:50 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

stock rockers? you grinded them down for clearnace for what???and if their STOCK, you just tq them down... unless were talking about stock cobra rockers
Old 11-08-2007, 03:20 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: dimebag

stock rockers? you grinded them down for clearnace for what???and if their STOCK, you just tq them down... unless were talking about stock cobra rockers
yes stock rockers. and the reason is the upgraded spring i installed, they are like .550 or soemthign and the stock rockers are rated for stock springs at .500. so i need to make some clearance so they wont contact the springs when the rocker fully presses the valve stem down. otherwise ill break a rocker or retainer or keeper. which would be very bad. and yea they are just stock stamped rockers, i still want to set them properly so i dont have any noise.

and i know your going to ask or wondering why im using these or why i upgraded the springs on stock heads, well just like you....im short on money for my project. i've had some tough financial battles lately and i just need to get her going. its my DD now. i got rid of my truck to my parents.so im waiting till spring to save money and get my tax return, get aftermarket heads, stud mount, and roller rockers. then im going to use your suspension set up because its cheapest ive seen that works extremely well.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:33 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i wasnt saying what u were doing was stupid... i was just curious as to why... i see now

so... your springs youve installed i assume ahve a larger diameter? that makes it all make sense now

dont think i was questioning you, i was just wondering why u were doing what u were doing... i see now.

and... your still just going to be able to tq the rockers down.. unless u shim them and ****...

so... seeing that it is a wider spring, is there any issue with the spring fitting in the seat?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:35 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

and hey, thx for the suspension complaments this entire car... is a budget build, lol... u shoud see the small *** amount of money ill have in it by the end of the month... shooting for low 12s
Old 11-08-2007, 04:16 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i wasnt saying what u were doing was stupid... i was just curious as to why... i see now

so... your springs youve installed i assume ahve a larger diameter? that makes it all make sense now

dont think i was questioning you, i was just wondering why u were doing what u were doing... i see now.

and... your still just going to be able to tq the rockers down.. unless u shim them and ****...

so... seeing that it is a wider spring, is there any issue with the spring fitting in the seat?
dont get me wrong, i wasnt getting defensive, sorry if it sounded that way.i wont have to shim them at all, same type of gaskets, same pushrods, same everything so the overall geometery hasnt changed. so your saying all i have to do is put the rockers on, tighten them down to snug and then a quarter turn more and thats it? i dont have to rotate the engine around or anything? and yes the aftermarket springs are larger, i guess you cant buy springs the same size as the stockers or at least i couldnt find them. so per ford's tech guy...he said grind the face of the rocker down flat so the spring wont have clearance issues in its seat. they didnt contact as they were but it was so close that in know stock rockers flex at high RPMS, so they would eventually touch, now it shouldnt even be close.

and yea i was really impressed with your price tag on your suspension set up. so i think i might hit that route once i get the cash flow again. the only thing then....i know the T-5 will break after the suspension is built, its already grinding if i shift quickly into second. so ill baby it for a while. i think i might hit up the TKO 500 package for the $1500 thats advertised(tranny, bell housing, cross member, shifter base)
Old 11-08-2007, 09:04 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

unless were talking about stock cobra rockers
Whats different about installing the cobra rockers???
Old 11-08-2007, 09:12 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

cobra rockers are roller and need to be adjusted. yea you should just need to torque them to 25 lbs and be done!

Quick Reply: stock rocker question