Notices
5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EFI vs. CARBURATED

Old 03-04-2005, 03:13 AM
Ezrider
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: EFI vs. CARBURATED

im seriously thinking about going carbed when i biuld my new motor cause my car is speed density id eather spend 600 on mass airflow stuff as well as more posible tunning, where a carb i can tune with a screw driver, i can get an rpm preformer 4bbl intake for $150 an an holly carb for around the same as the intake, have an ifinate amount of tuning with the turn of a screw driver. im an efi guy but you cant beat the simplicity of an carb
Old 03-04-2005, 03:20 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

No way! EFI has soo many advantages to carbs. Like earlier stated, cold starts, bottom end, mileage, etc... What else is there? Okay so you cant turn a screw driver to tune it, but you don't have to do it but once on an EFI rather than every day with a Carb. EFI is the way to go, hands down.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:23 AM
Ezrider
2nd Gear Member

as far as reliablility and an every day driver yes efi is alot better, like i said im an efi guy but what it realy comes down to is how to get the most power the cheepest. ill be spending a lumpsum in heads and cam and rebiuld on my other motor and dyno tuning and mass airflow would put me over my budget. at a later date i can always convert back to efi
Old 03-04-2005, 07:34 AM
92BOOSTED
3rd Gear Member

You could go carb'ed right now and save a lot of money, so you could put that toward your suspension mods.
Besides that, i think the fact that everyone is staying efi because the younger crowd really dont know how to properly tune a carb for performance.Not to mention that people like to stay in the latest and most up to date things(technology is crazy) anymore.
Dont get me wrong and i'm not tring to offend anyone efi is great and efficient, but you can tune a carb to be just as responsive with patience.

Rye
Old 03-04-2005, 09:57 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

THrowing a carb on is just too easy....
Old 03-04-2005, 10:00 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

keep EFI!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Ezrider
2nd Gear Member

iv had some carbed cars that would cook. i had an 69 chevy pickup with an 4bbl biult 350 it had 35inch tires in the back and it would smoke the rubber right off them. i also had an 75 dodge dart swinger that i put an 318v8 in (orrigional /6) after some porting job on the heads intake manifold and 4bbl carb, at the drag stip it would get 1 of the front wheels off the ground at the lauch im not saying efi is not better, becouse it is. but the point is you dont need it to make tons of power and its less of a headache to tune or diagnose easyer to upgrade and cheeper while still being able to make gobs of power. now you cant deny the advantages of efi but at the same time carbs have a list of advantages to. esp to someone where there pocket book has anything to do with the descion. efi is not the only way to go and still make tons of power
Old 03-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

i have all of the upgraded fuel injection crap, if my car gives me any sh*t when i put on my heads, i am slapping on a performer rpm intake and a speed demon 650, i just cant bring myself to buy a pms- too expensive for my taste, I like F.I. but there is too much b.s. involved. I have lots of friends with carbed 5.0's that run like hell and their driveability is just as good as mine. I aint scared of the carb.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

the reason why people have trouble converting to carb is because they think they have to put a 750 double pumper and big sh*t like that on a mild 302 motor. If you do it right and put a good carb that isnt too big, it will be fine. Just look at how long vehicles survived reliably without f.i. Plus, you cant beat the sound of that 4 barrel opening up and moaning like a cheap ***** !
Old 03-04-2005, 03:49 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

All this "EFI is superior to a carb in every way" is a load of crap. Sure fuel injection has better throttle response and ease of starting?? I dunno I've never had problems starting a carb'd car. If you want throttle response and fuel economy go EFI. The truth is a carb will outflow EFI at the top end. The thing about EFI is it makes power over a broader RPM range than carbs, but a carb'd engine can make equal absolute power as the same engine with EFI. I agree you can get the performance you need out of a carb if you know how to tune it right. It's a lot cheaper too so it's a win-win situation.

Quote from Warren Johnson in Car Craft:
"Properly tuned, carburetors make more peak power than EFI in a Pro Stock engine. A carb’s pressure differential atomizes the gas a lot better than spraying fuel through an orifice. But EFI has a broader powerband and superior cylinder-to-cylinder fuel distribution."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EFI vs. CARBURATED

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.