5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

lifter help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by highskewlmustnglvr86
ok im gonna try and get a video up soon...and yea the cam was damaged a little but the lifters that were in there were really scarred up and some broke in half wear the roller is a the bottom
Sounds a lot like what happens when to big a cam is installed an the valve springs go into coil bind. It will wear the lifters out quickly. Tell me about the cam you are using.

Here is a photo of the cam plugs.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:26 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Its not what your thinking, its the needle bearings on the wheels of the lifters.

When they do this, the wheel breaks.

Whats the full story on this engine ? Lifters stay quiet, roller rockers make noise.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bwkelley76
I'll bet one of the new/old/used lifters is going bad? The stock lifters are crap from what I've heard, especially after they get some miles on them. They can't handle too much spring pressure, bigger cam, higher rocker ratios, etc either, at least not for too long.

I'm having a similar issue. I'll let you know how my situation goes but I think my roller lifters are toast also and I plan on replacing them asap with NEW. New Ford Racing roller lifters are less than $130
Same lifter. Trick Flow,Crane OE style replacement, Comp OE style replacement, Ford Racing, Summit OE style replacement and Ford OE are the identical lifter made in the same spot, same specs. This only applies to stock style OE style hyd roller lifters. If you know the right people at the Cam companies you get the insider information.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:08 AM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Same lifter. Trick Flow,Crane OE style replacement, Comp OE style replacement, Ford Racing, Summit OE style replacement and Ford OE are the identical lifter made in the same spot, same specs. This only applies to stock style OE style hyd roller lifters. If you know the right people at the Cam companies you get the insider information.
Good to know. Summit Racing sells 5.0 roller lifters for about $6.25 each and the part # is strangely very similar to that of Federal Mogul.

I can collapse about 12 of my lifters by pushing down on the rocker with one finger when they are on the flat side of the cam and the engine hot, after only sitting long enough to spin off the valve cover. The other 4 are still holding pressure and don't bleed down at all...LOL I'm pretty sure in my case the lifters are bad. I've also noticed that people tend to reuse the stock lifters over and over. I'm sure they eventually wear out. I also talked to a few local 5.0 enthusiasts and they claim it's a common failure for the plungers to go on the lifters. I definitely agree that coil-bind or bad valve geometry could also cause a failure/blown plunger or broken roller. Another thing that I was told to watch out for is loose lifter bores on a rebuilt/reconditioned or worn out motor. That could cause poor oil-pressure to the lifters and easier bleed-down. ...although I always thought that lifters weren't supposed to bleed down much if at all. ..I'm not a lifter expert though.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:42 AM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Again more bad info, there are massive differences between lifters. A comp 8931 oe style lifter is much different than an oe style from ford racing. The comp is a different body, uses a disk inside and a turbo 400 sprag spring, I get these direct from Eaton, the ford racing is a real oem lifter and I get these from melling directly. Now I stress I have received eaton lifters from ford racing so its a crapshoot on which you will get, same with summit. Your sources give you bad info.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:31 PM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by woodsy
Again more bad info, there are massive differences between lifters. A comp 8931 oe style lifter is much different than an oe style from ford racing. The comp is a different body, uses a disk inside and a turbo 400 sprag spring, I get these direct from Eaton, the ford racing is a real oem lifter and I get these from melling directly. Now I stress I have received eaton lifters from ford racing so its a crapshoot on which you will get, same with summit. Your sources give you bad info.
Summit roller lifters are currently Federal Mogul. I verified this with a rep just the other day. They weren't sure what the Ford Racing ones are currently which may back up your statement. Probably a carp-shoot and you never know exactly what you're getting.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:05 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bwkelley76
Summit roller lifters are currently Federal Mogul. I verified this with a rep just the other day. They weren't sure what the Ford Racing ones are currently which may back up your statement. Probably a carp-shoot and you never know exactly what you're getting.
I buy 160-200 lifters per month, I know what I am getting when I buy direct, the public doesnt know what there getting is the problem
Old 11-30-2008, 04:29 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aode08
Its not what your thinking, its the needle bearings on the wheels of the lifters.

When they do this, the wheel breaks.

Whats the full story on this engine ? Lifters stay quiet, roller rockers make noise.
Very Ammusing!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:03 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by PJC Racing
Very Ammusing!
what's even more ammusing is you guys are bumping a thread that's over a year old. so...............