5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

My car won't stop leaking coolant!! Help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:43 PM
drifts14x

Default My car won't stop leaking coolant!! Help please!!

Alright, so I'm screwed. My power steering and water pump failed at the same time last week, in one drive, so today, I replaced them.

Now, instead of the flood of coolant pouring out of my engine at the water pump face, there is a new, even more ridiculous leak coming from what looks like the lower intake plenum!

While this is not a flood, it is a drip so constant that it is just short of being a solid stream pouring out of the manifold, running around the distributor, and onto the engine face right around the water pump.

Now, the leak is tucked under just about every possible item on the topside of the engine, and I can't just take my car apart to figure out what's wrong, I don't have the tools, time, or money for somebody else to do it.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be leaking from that area? If so, I could really use the help, seeing as I will be having to hit the parentals up for some cash to fix the problem (I'm in college right now and my part time job was just covering the gas and insurance, rent and food).

P.S. My thermostat got replaced along with the water pump, and it's not leaking from that housing, that much I know for sure.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My car won't stop leaking coolant!! Help please!!

You don't have a chrome t-stat housing do you? If so its probably leaking from the bypass port. If its the case remove the bypass nipple and put a bunch of pipe tape and pipe dope on it to make it quit leaking. Other than that it might just be a gasket somewhere.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:08 PM
drifts14x

No go on the chrome T-stat housing.

What gaskets could be leaking, it seems like it's leaking from somewhere under the elbow for the intake, or around that area.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:58 PM
drifts14x

Anybody have any other ideas, where else could this be leaking from, if I have to take apart the top half of the motor, I need to know what gaskets or parts could be leaking.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:25 PM
1fastzook
4th Gear Member

Itseither leaking from the lower manifold gaskets,hoses running off the water pump,t stat housing or water pump.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:40 PM
drifts14x

Is that all that's up there? If so, I think I'm gonna buy myself some new wrenches and tear it up.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:43 PM
94snake
1st Gear Member

check the heater core hoses. my previous mustang was a 95 gt and the two hoses that come from the water pump that make a 90 degree turn, rot out, check those. you probably will have to physically feel because mine for instance, just leaked out of the bottom of the hose, and you couldnt even see the leak with your eyes.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:54 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

pictures would help greatly
Old 11-13-2007, 05:28 AM
drifts14x

I'll try to get some pics soon.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Lordy
1st Gear Member

I just had to replace the gasket between the block and intake manifold on my Blazer. What a major PITA. Took about 6 hrs just to get to it. New gasket fixed the slow leak though.

Quick Reply: My car won't stop leaking coolant!! Help please!!