5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Did I kill my Heater Core?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:59 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Did I kill my Heater Core?

Any critical rubber line needed, gets two things from me,.

Set it, for get it.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:45 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

if you ran into a heater core in a newer vehicle
Old 11-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scalihoo

I bet theres a shot you justdidnt tighten the hose enough, I smelled a slight whiff of antifreeze recently during cold starts & thought for sure the core was leaking then realized it was blowing out that small hose you replaced under the hood @ the firewall. I would tighten the clamp really good with that small ratchet { 1/4 inch drive I think } Screwdrivers dont do the trick on those clamps for me, just be carefull not to snap the clamps but tighten the suckers good..
Heck, it's worth a try before having to rip the dash apart...
ok so I got the hose and the bypass is done. Now its leaking from where the clamps are. Is it possible I messed up the metal line or that the clamps just arent tight enough. The clamps are pretty tight, I was just worried if it is possible to puncture the hose if I tighten the clamp too much.
thanks.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Scalihoo
2nd Gear Member

I'll be honest I have a little blowby of coolant in that area still, it seems better since putting a socket on the clamps & really tightening them. I get a small amount of antifreeze trickiling on the valve cover after reving, drivingher pretty hard for a half hour or so. What I dont have is water in the oil or white smoke so that rules out head gasket { I hope } LOL..
Anyways I'm still in the same boat as you, I have to remove the upper intake i think the leak is coming from the top of the manifold somewhere.
Or maybe I need a restricter in the heater core. I dont get any coolant whiffs inside the car in the morning when I have the fan on ect..
Good luck, post back when you make more progress on operation coolant leak..
Old 11-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

ok, will do. But regarding the clamps, should I worry about pucturing the hose if I tighten the clamp to much, or should I just tighten the clamps up tight as possible?

Also, If its my head gasket thats blown, could that cause white smoke on cold start ups. It smokes white smoke when its cold, but after driving it a while and it warms up its all good. Another thing, After driving the car and getting it up to temp, I park it and look underneath and see coolant dripping out at a pretty steady rate. I know its dripping from the bypass, butit doesnt seem like that much was dripping.Could a blown head gasket cause this?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Scalihoo
2nd Gear Member

The white smoke when it's cold is from condensation in the exhaust, when you check the smoke for blown head gaskets they say to do so when it's warmed up, also look for frothy oil that looks like chocolate milk, a brownish/greyish sludge ring around insideof oil fill &filler cap { water intrusion } also if you remove rad cap with the engine cold , start car & see bubbles thats not a good sign, I think a pressure test is the way to go to trubleshootthis problem we both seem to have , I just havent got around to it, hopefully this weekend.. Allthough I think i'm pressure testing it every time i take it out & light up the tach light @ 6 grand ,. LOL
Old 11-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

Ok thanks. It doesnt look like I have a blown head gasket. I really wish I had time to trouble shoot more, but with class and work everyday, my time is limited. I just want my car running mint before I have to put it away for the winter. Anyways, Ill keep you updated on Operation Coolant Leak....lol. Good Luck