5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Changing timing and water pump gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Fairlee
1st Gear Member

Default Changing timing and water pump gaskets

Need of your experiences.[/align][/align]My Mustang needs the following work done:[/align][/align]1. Water pump gasket and maybe water pump[/align]2. Crank Seal[/align]3. Timing cover gasket[/align][/align]While you were doing this is there anything elseworth doing. ie. Underdrive Pullies?[/align][/align]Thanks,[/align][/align]
Old 11-12-2007, 10:05 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Changing timing and water pump gaskets

on the passenger side of the block, you will see a plug with a hex hole in it remove it with an allen wrench. This is a core drain plug.

The reason you want to drain this is because coolant flows through the timing cover, and removing the timing cover without fully draining the engine, can result in coolant ending up in the oil pan.

other than that its pretty straight forward... you will have to remove the first 4 bolts on the oil pan, on each side... just to get it down enough to get the timing cover off.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:14 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

FYI, goodluck with that block drain plug. chances are its rusted from the inside and i'd be willing to be you'll strip the allen socket in the plug as soon as you try to remove it. regardless of how it goes, change the oil when your done cause you never know whats going to fall down into the oil pan while your scraping old gaskets off and such.

oh yeah, and if you water pump *gasket* is leaking, you'd be a fool to not change the pump itself while it was off (they arent an expensive item)
Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: my77stang

FYI, goodluck with that block drain plug. chances are its rusted from the inside and i'd be willing to be you'll strip the allen socket in the plug as soon as you try to remove it. regardless of how it goes, change the oil when your done cause you never know whats going to fall down into the oil pan while your scraping old gaskets off and such.

oh yeah, and if you water pump *gasket* is leaking, you'd be a fool to not change the pump itself while it was off (they arent an expensive item)
I've never seen so many people have so many problems.. especially with items that come off my car with ease. I barely had to crank on that plug to get it out of my motor.. then again.. once I unbolted my harmonic balancer it just slid right off ... so idk.
maybe my old engine was weird
Old 11-12-2007, 09:46 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

Definetly change the water pump unless you know that it's already new...

Otherwise you will be regretting it in the future.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

yeah thats pretty strange indeed adder because i know from experience dealing with literally thousands of blocks and heads that hex headed plugs into water will strip very easy. the only way we could get them out on the first try was to heat the plug up red hot, then put some wax or other lube on it and loosen that bugger up while its still smoking. that method will work virtually every time.

and yeah balancers are usually stuck like chuck [&:]