5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

heel toe and sparkplugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:43 AM
Ronin5.O

Default RE: heel toe and sparkplugs

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

my car is almost always in gear... I just usually have my foot on the clutch while coasting to a stop.. in gear
Then you are wearing out your throwout bearing. That is very ill informed to tell people that heel-toe downshifting wears out your clutch. The whole point of it is that you rev match before the clutch comes out, this is because when you are going around a track weight transfer can cause the car to understeer or drift, by rev matching you have no abrupt weight transfer. To think that it hurts the clutch is just ignorance. The clutch suffers more from quick upshifts because the RPM's arent the same when you shift. Think about that, maybe you should double clutch everywhere if your so concerned with wearing it out. or just dont drive it at all.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:56 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ronin5.O

my car is almost always in gear... I just usually have my foot on the clutch while coasting to a stop.. in gear
Then you are wearing out your throwout bearing. That is very ill informed to tell people that heel-toe downshifting wears out your clutch. The whole point of it is that you rev match before the clutch comes out, this is because when you are going around a track weight transfer can cause the car to understeer or drift, by rev matching you have no abrupt weight transfer. To think that it hurts the clutch is just ignorance. The clutch suffers more from quick upshifts because the RPM's arent the same when you shift. Think about that, maybe you should double clutch everywhere if your so concerned with wearing it out. or just dont drive it at all.
lol.. so now we went from wearing out a $20 set of brakes... to wearing out a $18 throwout bearing...

you guys amuse me

Old 11-13-2007, 04:43 AM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

Thats called freewheeling. Do that in a big rig for your test and they fail your a$$. You would prob fail in your car too. But they dont do test for maunals anymore. They say your not in control of your vehicle.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:48 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ronin5.O

Then you are wearing out your throwout bearing. .................... The clutch suffers more from quick upshifts because the RPM's arent the same when you shift.
lol.. so now we went from wearing out a $20 set of brakes... to wearing out a $18 throwout bearing...

you guys amuse me

brakes.. $20 and 20 minutes work
Clutch... $300 and about 2 hours work

I'd rather toast my brakes
Humm so this comes out too.....

brakes.. $20 and 20 minutes work (why bothers to turn or re-surface rotors?)
throwout bearing... $18 and about 2 hours work

Dunno even with down shifting I have worn out more brakes than clutches. This whole subject always amuses me.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:55 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

as for ut plug question go with the motorcraft! and for your pinging check ur timing. stock is 10*btdc i set mine at 12* and run 87 octane and have no issues. how long have you had ur car? cuz the person could have advanced the timing and not tell you that you need to run 93 like the guy i bought my car off of and my ignorance lead to a BHG.. so check it
Old 11-13-2007, 02:35 PM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nacanitihs

as for ut plug question go with the motorcraft! and for your pinging check ur timing. stock is 10*btdc i set mine at 12* and run 87 octane and have no issues. how long have you had ur car? cuz the person could have advanced the timing and not tell you that you need to run 93 like the guy i bought my car off of and my ignorance lead to a BHG.. so check it
thanks for asnwering and not argueing. LOL i've had my car a year... i'll check the timing, but i'm pretty sure it was never messed with, as it was owned by a senior citizen.
what motocraft plugs should i get? should i just do a cross reference to the ones i have now and call it good?

wow. everybody is argueing about brake and clutch wear now. amusing.