MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   WHY R MY SPARK PLUG WIRES BURNING OUT???? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/37090-why-r-my-spark-plug-wires-burning-out.html)

JOES 88 GT 03-05-2005 03:12 PM

WHY R MY SPARK PLUG WIRES BURNING OUT????

I HAVE AN 88 GT AND THE SPARK PLUG WIRES KEEP BUNING OUT DUE TO THE HEAT FROM THE HEADERS- I NEED SOME HEAT RESISTANT ONES- ANY RECOMMENDATIONS? PLEASE HELP

Tims 88GT 03-05-2005 04:04 PM

RE: WHY R MY SPARK PLUG WIRES BURNING OUT????

hey do your wires lean agenst the headers? if so you just need shorter ones, what kind do you have now?

Aliate X 03-05-2005 04:05 PM

get ceramic headers.

Tims 88GT 03-05-2005 04:26 PM

hey aliate i know that ceramic headers last longer but do they run a little cooler to? my frpp shorts i did not get coated

vfast 03-05-2005 06:35 PM

I used a chrome like thermal tape I wrap my boots with they use it on metal ducts...lowes will have it

JOES 88 GT 03-05-2005 07:42 PM

Yeah they do- I just got some Bosch yesturday & they already burned out. Also how much $ you waste on gas. I smell gas at the muffler tip- any idea what this could be- by the way thanks for getting back to me

Green5pt0 03-05-2005 08:31 PM

If you smell gas at the exhaust your engine is running pretty rich. Which is possibly due to bad 02 sensors.
-Green5pt0

stanglx2002 03-05-2005 08:34 PM

if you are running rich then it could be the O2 sensors and the spark plug gap

JOES 88 GT 03-05-2005 08:43 PM

where could i find these bad o2 sensors?also do u have headers and what spark plug wires do u have?

83GT306 03-05-2005 09:20 PM

The o2 sensors are threaded into the side of each exhaust pipe between the headers and catalytic converters.
Does a check engine light burn all the time? If not, is the bulb just burned out?
Go to the auto parts and buy a $30.00 code scanner and follow the directions to retrieve any diagnostic codes from your computer, this will help steer you in the right direction. If you don't know how, maybe there's a parts store that will do it for you.

By the way, don't buy those cheap Bosch plug wires from the parts store, find a speed shop in your area and get some good 45* boot plug wires and some wire-looms to keep 'em away from your headers.

Demon_Mustang 03-06-2005 01:18 AM

Joe, if the wires are not touching the headers, but are melting anyway, there could be a chance that they have too much resistance and are heating up. If you've done any ignition work like installing MSD ignition coils or anything like that, you will need thicker wires or it'll have way too much resistance. Also, shorter is better since resistance increases with length. I would say get some good quality 8mm wires.

JOES 88 GT 03-06-2005 01:31 AM

deamon mustang- I am planning on getting the 8.5 mm msd wires - there are some with straight boot made for mustangs with headers. What do u think? or should i go with other brands? I appreciate any and all suggestions

Aliate X 03-06-2005 04:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Tims 88GT

hey aliate i know that ceramic headers last longer but do they run a little cooler to? my frpp shorts i did not get coated
They do not discolor and since ceramic is heat resistant, it also contains a lot of heat. Keeps underhood temps down a lot. Ive had them for almost 6 months now and they still look brand new, no joke. Tomorrow or something ill post a picture of now and picture of when i first installed them.

Demon_Mustang 03-06-2005 04:50 AM

The MSD wires are good, they should work good for you and you shouldn't have to worry about them burning up, just make sure none of the wire is making contact with the headers, and get one of those wire guide thingies to hold any slack up away from the headers, but other than that, they shouldn't burn up from the resistance, 8.5mm is more than enough.

Dejavu 03-06-2005 05:01 AM

Joe dude!

Get some shields for your spark plug wires and cut them to the best size that keeps them away from your headers, Taylor makes some great spark plug wire boots but they run about 60 dollars, but they're excellent, you can even wash them.

I was told that Ultralite 25's were good sparkplugs to use with Mustangs, the MSD Heli-core wires (blue) are 8mm wires, the red wires are 8.5, they both come with straight boots so that you can fit them with out too much trouble.

This is just for me- not address your problem anymore joe, but i also smell fuel from the tip of my exhausts when i run my car or turn it on, AND one of my exhausts flows better than the other, what could that be???

Dejavu

Demon_Mustang 03-06-2005 05:09 AM

People often recommend Taylors, but one of my friends used them and on the first time running the car it melted on him, lol.

fast83gt 03-06-2005 05:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Green5pt0

If you smell gas at the exhaust your engine is running pretty rich. Which is possibly due to bad 02 sensors.
-Green5pt0
my response here is a little off thread, and I don't mean to thread hijack but...

I don't know your exact exhast setup, but if you don't have cats you will probably smell gas out your exhaust

Broken 03-06-2005 07:35 AM

Get yourself some Header Tape to insulate your headers.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...51&prmenbr=361

Or buy some clips to hold your wires in place. Ya know, the ones the factory put on the car to keep wires from laying on exhaust headers. I see them missing on so many cars after people do there own tune ups. :D

vfast 03-06-2005 11:10 AM

why pay 350 for headers when my tape idea is like 15.00..those msd wires are nice..you want a wire that has the less resit you can find something in the 25 omhs per foot... also go to an autozone and they'll run the codes for free...when was the last time you changes your air filter..and if you have a k/n filter you need to clean the electronics of your maf as residue oil from a k/n filter will make the 'puter get a wrong reading

JOES 88 GT 03-07-2005 07:27 PM

i just got this gt about 4 months ago.So far Ive done tune up and had the heads sent to the mach.shop.The main problm is two of my spark plug wires burn out on the passnger side. i fill up my tank about every other day---is this normal for a gt to go through so much gas????? what the hell?where could i find this header tape???