5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I called up moroso in west palm beach...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 01:00 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: I called up moroso in west palm beach...

ORIGINAL: Mustangous

ORIGINAL: Dbeck002

as you all know im trying really hard to make my car track legal so that when i hit the track, i wont have any problems with inspection. right now my concern is the battery box. i call up moroso and the tech guy tells me that i must have a sealed NHRA approved box, which the summit box isnt. so now i have to fabricate my own, the minimum wall thickness for a steel box is 0.024" and 0.32" for an aluminum box. I will be using some 22 gauge stainless steel for the custom box. just kinda pisses me off because i just got the summit box in the mail and now i find out its not track legal ill post some pics of the new box soon.
why dop u want it on the left side and not the right?

www.megaone.com/bobbys9350 .....Check it out! i have a long ways to go i work on it daily...

05 mustang GT, 5 speed, Fire Red w/black int.
I got one from summit and its sealed. Its the one with the clips on the side that snapsdown and seals the lid. I looked all around for one and this was the one i like the best, ill have to take some pics of it.
i dont think that one is NHRA approved though, thats the one i bought.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:20 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

it's how your battery is bolted down....sealed top battery's preffered.....mine's a moroso,and it's plastic...i think u talked to someone
that didn't know what he was talking about,cause he is selling a product that is legal,and is plastic.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:10 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dbeck002

Question:

I am in the process of building a custom stainless steel box, 14 gauge 304 stainless fit to the battery dimensions. is it possible for me to relocate the battery to the rear left of the car instead of the rear right? this would help weight transfer since torque over is worse for the rear right wheel.
You could put it on the left side but I've never seen one mounted on that side in a bracket car all the years I've been drag racing.
You want the extra weight over the right rear wheel to preload the suspension and help plant the tire on the line since the torque reaction on the rear end tends to want to lift the right rear wheel at the hit even though the engine torque is twisting the chassis and lifting the left front. I don't know what the NHRA tech folks say about the use of sealed batteries but you might want to ask first before you build a box, might be cheaper to use a sealed battery instead if they allow that.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

here is the summit box i have, but didnt install yet. Summit battery box. I went through tech with a summit cheapo kit with the plastic box and that isnt as good as this one. Ill be pissed if they wont let me run with this one and the did with that crapy plastic one.