MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   I called up moroso in west palm beach... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/37131-i-called-up-moroso-in-west-palm-beach.html)

Dbeck002 03-05-2005 10:20 PM

I called up moroso in west palm beach...

as you all know im trying really hard to make my car track legal so that when i hit the track, i wont have any problems with inspection. right now my concern is the battery box. i call up moroso and the tech guy tells me that i must have a sealed NHRA approved box, which the summit box isnt. so now i have to fabricate my own, the minimum wall thickness for a steel box is 0.024" and 0.32" for an aluminum box. I will be using some 22 gauge stainless steel for the custom box. just kinda pisses me off because i just got the summit box in the mail and now i find out its not track legal :( ill post some pics of the new box soon.

roundman 03-05-2005 10:31 PM

RE: I called up moroso in west palm beach...

Moroso makes a sealed battery box which meets the specs, their part number is 74050. there are other places that make and sell them out of steel or aluminum but I can't remember any of them right off the top of my head right now. try Competition Engineering though, they used to make a metal one I'm sure.
and dont' forget you need the master battery cut off switch once you do move the battery to the back too.

Obsol3te 03-05-2005 11:14 PM

Steeda sells one as well, still a bit pricey tho:eek:

And my lazy ass still didn't run the wire from my alt. back to the switch yet:D
Whenever I'm in the tech line I just keep a few electronic items on when theyre testing the switch[sm=smiley16.gif]

P.S. Power windows are a MUST!

mustang8719 03-05-2005 11:34 PM

Man that sucks.Keep us posted on the new one.

Demon_Mustang 03-06-2005 01:15 AM

Yah man, what was summit thinking selling a battery box that doesn't meet the standards! What do they think we are doing it for??? :D

stanglx2002 03-06-2005 02:33 PM

thats suck sry about that but keep us posted

vfast 03-06-2005 03:37 PM

I think thier info on the box says not NHRA legal.....

Dbeck002 03-06-2005 05:34 PM

Question:

I am in the process of building a custom stainless steel box, 14 gauge 304 stainless fit to the battery dimensions. is it possible for me to relocate the battery to the rear left of the car instead of the rear right? this would help weight transfer since torque over is worse for the rear right wheel.

bobby 03-06-2005 08:11 PM

why dop u want it on the left side and not the right?

Mustangous 03-06-2005 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Dbeck002

as you all know im trying really hard to make my car track legal so that when i hit the track, i wont have any problems with inspection. right now my concern is the battery box. i call up moroso and the tech guy tells me that i must have a sealed NHRA approved box, which the summit box isnt. so now i have to fabricate my own, the minimum wall thickness for a steel box is 0.024" and 0.32" for an aluminum box. I will be using some 22 gauge stainless steel for the custom box. just kinda pisses me off because i just got the summit box in the mail and now i find out its not track legal :( ill post some pics of the new box soon.

why dop u want it on the left side and not the right?

www.megaone.com/bobbys9350 .....Check it out! i have a long ways to go i work on it daily...

05 mustang GT, 5 speed, Fire Red w/black int.
I got one from summit and its sealed. Its the one with the clips on the side that snapsdown and seals the lid. I looked all around for one and this was the one i like the best, ill have to take some pics of it.