5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Vibration...Hmm

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 03:09 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

Default Vibration...Hmm

Hey guys ive got a problem that my mechanic doesn't want to figure out lol. At low rpm's such as 1000-1800rpm's my cars steering wheel shakes VIOLENTLY and feels as if shes kind of choking on the gas. I through in some heat, to make sure there was no water in the gas tank and theres no difference. I have a 1991 mustang gt automatic. In just Drive, its not as noticeable, but driving in Overdrive, or at lower rpms in general, you can deffinately feel it. Also if I shift from 2nd to 3rd on a hill and drop to about 1500rpms then it really shakes. It does not do it at higher rpms, only the lower rpms. Someone please help this is driving me nuts and all my mechanic said is "its a sports car, maybe motor mounts i dont know".

I dont believe its my harmonic balancer because it does not do this while in park or nuetral.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:28 AM
red95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Vibration...Hmm

It could be torque convertor shudder, try coasting out of gear at the same speed that you are having the problem at and see if it still does it, I am leaning towards a possible transmission problem.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:22 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

Nope, I just put it into nuetral and costed down the hill at low rpm's to a stop sign and had no vibration. I stopped, put it back in gear, accelerated, and had vibration.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:00 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

any one else have any thoughts, im getting the oil changed and the proportioning valve done on tuesday, id like to let my mech know something to look into.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:45 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

hope its not the mech that said motor mounts

sounds like the problem lies in the drivetrain (driveshaft or tranny)
Old 11-17-2007, 02:21 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yeah, tranny or driveline related since it only happens in gear.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:23 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

is there any way it could be gas related, like a broken baffle in the gas tank. It really feels like its choking on the gas, or like theres water in the gas tank and its just choking on it. Again, it only happens at really low rpms, from stopped to about 1800 or so. If i drive in just D instead of OD i can barely feel it or notice it because i get up to 2k rpms quicker. Its not a major deal, and i really think its something little like an air filter or clogged fuel filter or something. Am i just wishing for the best, or is it really something worse?
Old 11-17-2007, 08:29 PM
1fstlx
1st Gear Member

i would ahve to agree with the others. sounds like a transmission problem. a auto that shudders sounds alot like the problem your having. afterall fox body aods are junk. (i hate to saythat but its true). take it to ur local transmission shop. sounds like ur mechanic isnt a mechanic.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:50 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: 92cobra

Nope, I just put it into nuetral and costed down the hill at low rpm's to a stop sign and had no vibration. I stopped, put it back in gear, accelerated, and had vibration.
well duhhhhhhhhh.....of course you won't feel it because you removed the load from the problem....you need to make sure it's not an engine performance problem before assuming that it's driveline related.....when in gear the transmission places a load on the engine because it takes torque to rotate the trans pump and or torque convertor...in most cases just enough to bring an engine performance related issue to the surface...the first thing I would do is hook an occiliscope up to the ignition system and watch the wave forms and firing voltages to see if there is a load sensitive related misfire that may only occur under light or small depresses on the accelerator.......I've had alot of cars exibit similar problems as such....after testing /checking for any engine performance related issues properly and none are found then I'd lean towards a drivetrain issue maybe torque convertor probs???
Old 11-17-2007, 09:11 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Do what mjr suggested. It could be something as simple as a cracked distributor cap. If you havn't done a tune lately, you would not be wasting money to do it now. Plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter