5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Kenne Bell SC Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:48 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Kenne Bell SC Question?

nothing wrong w kb... maybe i came off like that... i just think for the money he can have a faster car
Old 11-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

I also wanted to go KB bad when I got my car. Here is what I did. Get on-line or call KB, Procharger, Vortech, and any other you can think of and have them send you information on their stuff. Sit down and read it all. Then you can decide what will work for your goals. After Ilooked at all the stuff it was Procharger for me... hands down.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:26 AM
The Whistler

I love my KB. Had it on the GTS for 12 years with 8lb and 10lb... It makes the 5.0 feel like a bigblock.

[IMG]local://upfiles/84957/EC3671F0F814422EA0E31B0CF358D17A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-19-2007, 11:34 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

very clean car man.. go to the gen. dis. section and put up a thread, i wanna see more pics of this thing, esp under the hood
Old 11-19-2007, 11:57 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I really like the Procharger idea, mainly self contained oil system and the intercooler. However I'm very picky about how things look when they are installed too and seeing a Procharger on an SN95 makes me want to puke I love how simple KBs are.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:03 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

remember guys he has the hyper pistons i would push it to a max of 10psi
Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I'd say the tune is really more important than the boost level. I found a guy running AFR heads, a Crane came and a KB at 12psi and he said he's been running it like that for many years without a single problem. That's non intercooled also... not that I don't think 12psi is a lil much but it goes to show with a good tune it's not always going to nuke your engine. If you want to go on the safe side I'd probably shoot for 8-9psi to start.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:16 AM
cgarray17
2nd Gear Member

Ok so 8 to 9 is good to start with, and it sounds like a tune would help also, thanks for the help, now i just cant wait to order it in a month or so and this pesky snow to go away.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:15 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cgarray17

Im looking to get a Kenne Bell Blowzilla for my stang this winter and i was woundering if it would be worth it to also get a gt-40 lower intake and the flowzilla inlet or is that not worth all that extra money, also does anyone know what would be a safe psi to run on an almost stock engine, would 6-8 be good or could i get away with 10psi? Any info on the subject would be very helpful.. Thanks
Here is my 2 cents:

Kenne Bells rock for the modular motors, but dont look right on 5.0s...

You can make more power cheaper with a Vortech/Centrifugal..for example you can pick up a 8-10lb Vortech kit and a Meth injection kit for about 3k if you do some shopping....

Also any blower that sits on top of the motor and is not intercooled is going to heat soak...I have a friend that has a 2003 Cobra and the thing has no power when it is over 75 outside..once the motor gets hot...My Meth kit allows me to keep the same power whether it is 85 or 55 out...more or less...

However if you want the Kenne Bell I understand..they are different...I would imagine 10psi with a good tune should work and be safe...not sure how long the stock head gaskets will take it though...8 or less is really safe...I ran 8lbs in my daily driver Notch in the early 90s..with no problems..and we did not even tune them back then

Forgot they also can be real loud..the front bearing sounds like the motor has a spun bearing...but it is actually the bearing on the Kenne Bell...do a Google search for front bearing noise on Kenne Bell and you will see what I mean...I have heard 2 this year and it does not sound good...they claim it has something to do with how the car idles....
Old 11-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

Dont bother with a flowzilla inlet, mainly because there are issues already with the inlet hittin the fuel regulator, you need to move it off the rail and get a new rail if you get the flowzilla inlet as well as change over all your throttle body and inlet system over to fox style to make use of the 90mm opening. Second get the gt40 intake its worth it. Third i would not go over 10psi thats what im running mine too at most with stock bottom end ive seen 12 on centros but there a different animal but stock head gasket wont last long with 10psi.Fourth kbs do need intercoolers bad its the only thing i dont like about mine. Other than that its great, dont need to spend extra on aftermarket intake or real tall gears to make use of the kb so you save money there. Also i just love the usable power positive blowers give you my horsepower and torque numbers are flat across the board from 2500-6000. And its not loud, if your running like 15 and up they are loud but not on only 6-10 lbs, i hear all motor when im on it.

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell SC Question?