5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Somethings F***ed up!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:03 AM
loeryder21
2nd Gear Member

Default Somethings F***ed up!

1986 Mustang GT, doesn't run right. I have to adjust the timing to start, then move back. After it starts it idles nice until I shut it off, then I cant start it regurly again without messing with the timing. It seems like either a fuel or ignition problem. I am looking into ignitor coils being that its cold and they sometimes go bad. If its not the coil I think it might be the fuel pump or filter. It looks like something isnt getting enough of what it needs. Any ideas? Thanks guys
Old 11-19-2007, 07:55 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Somethings F***ed up!

first things first....i'd set the timing back to factory spec and make sure the distributor has been installed correctly and follow the instructions on how to properly install it and time it up by removing spout connector to set base timing and then troubleshoot from there
Old 11-19-2007, 08:11 AM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

I agree that it could be a timing problem. you can borrow a timing light from Autozone or Checker Auto if you don't want to spend the money on it. once you've checked the timing and it's not even close to any of the degree marks, go through the "Stab in Distributor" instructions listed in MF somewhere.

also like mjr46 said, you have to pull that spout connector out before adjusting timing or it just won't work.

Have fun.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:50 PM
loeryder21
2nd Gear Member

I dont think its the timing, I set it last night with my timing light and everything is set to where it should be. Yes I took the spout out.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:32 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: loeryder21

I dont think its the timing, I set it last night with my timing light and everything is set to where it should be. Yes I took the spout out.
maybe so maybe not.......what I'm telling you is don't have your cars factory set specs like timing all out of wack while troubleshooting because then you'll become lost in the grand skeam of troubleshooting and you'll start to become lost and like a dog who chases his tail[&:]= you'll never get it...meaning the problem...once all settings are at spec then first thing I'd do is run a koeo test and or koer test if the car will run....after that if the car won't start with all specs at factory settings...then see what your missing.......ie..spark or fuel??? to accurately diagnosis such conditions..you really need a spark checker and a fuel pressure gauge..from there you can narrow down the problem to a system and from a system to a circuit then from there to a component and or wiring issue
Old 11-19-2007, 04:33 PM
loeryder21
2nd Gear Member

right, so far i have narrowed it down to either a spark issue or a fuel issue. The problem is that it idles so smoothly and doesnt miss so its hard to tell which it could be. The only apparent problem is that it wont start on its own will. I have to turn the distributer all the way to one side, then when it starts I move it back to the set spot. So to me, that says ignition coil or something to do with it
Old 11-19-2007, 04:44 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

nope.. sounds like ur dizzy is the problem
Old 11-19-2007, 04:47 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93 LX FiveO

nope.. sounds like ur dizzy is the problem
Yea, i dont think the coil is your problem. You need to start over. Most of the time when a car wont start after you have been playing with dizzy is because it is too advanced. But you said you have to turn it again after starting for it to run. I would bring engine back up to TDC and go from there. While you have dizzy out, check the gear and make sure all the teeth are there and ok.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:53 PM
capri_83
1st Gear Member

just a thought but t-chain may have jumped?????
Old 11-19-2007, 05:41 PM
1995GT5.0T5
2nd Gear Member

if timing chain jumped the engine timing would be off.. it would not idle fine like he says it does and turning the dizzy wouldnt effect starting or not. the valvetrain and crank would just be not timed correctly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Somethings F***ed up!