5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:17 PM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

Default Engine swap.

So i finaly fixed my car, after six months of screwing around with a local hotrod shop who could never figure it out. Turned out all it needed was a new ect sensor as well as some new plugs, as well as a busted hose on the fenderwell intake. I finished working on it at around 2:15 am this morning, and decided to take it out for a real quick test drive before heading to bed.
Basicaly, the car was beter than the day they put the tfs h/c/i kit on it. I couldnt go past a quarter throttle without spining the rear tires (though i do note that these are the tires that were on the car when it sat for 4 years, driven maybe four times.) in first.
I wait till i get out of my neighborhood and get on to an empty, long street, so i gas it about 75% of the way while in second gear going 20 mph. i just hear the engine hiting readline, so i thought i missed a shift. Then i looked up and i see the back slide a little to the right, then way to the left.

In a half a second i was drifting down the middle of the two lanes. I automaticaly countersteered, and i mean the wheel was almost at the lock, to stay on the road, and the i let way of on the gas. All of a sudden the tires catch and i shoot forward, then suddenly the front tires catch and rip the car to the left, slamming into a 4 foot ditch.

Basicaly the entire front end of the car, the grill, the bumper, and the quarterpanels got slammed about 4 inches up and two inches back. The front tires are flat and the rear shock is shot, so i can see how badly the frame is bent, but im still pretty sure its totaled.

The worst part about this is that that was the first time i really got to punch it when it was running well within the past 8 months. However, I do see one ray of sunshine. The engine was in no way smashed. It also apeared that the transmission was in decent shape when i tried to check it out as it was pulled up on the tow truck.

Because I'm can only afford liability coverage, being that I'm 18, im pretty much **** out of luck. However, i see no reason to waste a perfectly good engine. My dad suggested finding another foxbody with a smaller engine and doing an engine swap.

The thing is, i like change. I love the ford 5.0 motor, not to mention the near new h/c/i kit, so i figure i can find it another home.

Basicaly, I'm wondering what good cars do you guys know of for engine swaping a small block ford engine for. I was thinking a small car.

I know a guy that has a miata with a stock 5.0 stang engine in it, and he says he hates hit because the handling is so akward and its so dificult to get traction.

I have one car i was considering as a transplant subject for the 5.0. First howerver just let me say, i have no experience or knowledge in this type of thing whatsoever, so please excuse my naivety on the topic of engine swaps.The one car i immediately considered would be a Mitsubishi 3000gt. After having my last three years of work and money destroyed in one fishtail, i thought AWD is probably a good idea for any 300+horsepower.

So, has anyone heard of this attempted before? what other cars do you think might handle the transplant well? Any suggestions, ideas, or comments at all?

Oh yah, another thought i had was transplanted it in 300zx, but the traction problem of RWD bothers me.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:14 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine swap.

How about a Volvo station wagon?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:20 PM
86_GT_Mustang
5th Gear Member

how bout in a 5.0 roller?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:21 PM
mantis118
1st Gear Member

The problem with the 3000gt other than the small engine bay would be the AWD. The stock transfercase will not work. Id do a ranger myself.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:25 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Your accident was worse than mine. I went to fill up my cell, it was 36 degree's and i had bald BFG's. My dick took over and i ran into curb. I need two wheels and something is wrong with left front, i'm hoping a spindle.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 PM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

what small car do you think could handle the 5.0? I actualy will probably end up blowing it as well.....

I was thinking puting it in as small a car as possible. Something like a volkswagen golf would be perfect, but i have no idea about engine bay size.

What are some common small cars that swap with the ford small blocks regularly? other than the miata of course
Old 11-19-2007, 05:55 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

MurkerXR4Ti
Old 11-19-2007, 06:11 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chicogotgreen

So i finaly fixed my car, after six months of screwing around with a local hotrod shop who could never figure it out. Turned out all it needed was a new ect sensor as well as some new plugs, as well as a busted hose on the fenderwell intake. I finished working on it at around 2:15 am this morning, and decided to take it out for a real quick test drive before heading to bed.
Basicaly, the car was beter than the day they put the tfs h/c/i kit on it. I couldnt go past a quarter throttle without spining the rear tires (though i do note that these are the tires that were on the car when it sat for 4 years, driven maybe four times.) in first.
I wait till i get out of my neighborhood and get on to an empty, long street, so i gas it about 75% of the way while in second gear going 20 mph. i just hear the engine hiting readline, so i thought i missed a shift. Then i looked up and i see the back slide a little to the right, then way to the left.

In a half a second i was drifting down the middle of the two lanes. I automaticaly countersteered, and i mean the wheel was almost at the lock, to stay on the road, and the i let way of on the gas. All of a sudden the tires catch and i shoot forward, then suddenly the front tires catch and rip the car to the left, slamming into a 4 foot ditch.

Basicaly the entire front end of the car, the grill, the bumper, and the quarterpanels got slammed about 4 inches up and two inches back. The front tires are flat and the rear shock is shot, so i can see how badly the frame is bent, but im still pretty sure its totaled.

The worst part about this is that that was the first time i really got to punch it when it was running well within the past 8 months. However, I do see one ray of sunshine. The engine was in no way smashed. It also apeared that the transmission was in decent shape when i tried to check it out as it was pulled up on the tow truck.

Because I'm can only afford liability coverage, being that I'm 18, im pretty much **** out of luck. However, i see no reason to waste a perfectly good engine. My dad suggested finding another foxbody with a smaller engine and doing an engine swap.

The thing is, i like change. I love the ford 5.0 motor, not to mention the near new h/c/i kit, so i figure i can find it another home.

Basicaly, I'm wondering what good cars do you guys know of for engine swaping a small block ford engine for. I was thinking a small car.

I know a guy that has a miata with a stock 5.0 stang engine in it, and he says he hates hit because the handling is so akward and its so dificult to get traction.

I have one car i was considering as a transplant subject for the 5.0. First howerver just let me say, i have no experience or knowledge in this type of thing whatsoever, so please excuse my naivety on the topic of engine swaps.The one car i immediately considered would be a Mitsubishi 3000gt. After having my last three years of work and money destroyed in one fishtail, i thought AWD is probably a good idea for any 300+horsepower.

So, has anyone heard of this attempted before? what other cars do you think might handle the transplant well? Any suggestions, ideas, or comments at all?

Oh yah, another thought i had was transplanted it in 300zx, but the traction problem of RWD bothers me.
With the proper tires and control arms you will not have to worry so much about traction.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:09 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Find another Mustang............
Old 11-19-2007, 08:51 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Miata.

http://www.monstermiata.ca/v8_miata_cars.html

Quick Reply: Engine swap.