5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need some help please**updated with pics*

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:27 PM
88GTMustang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: need some help please

Unfortunatly I don't know everything that was done to the car yet. I am just trying to get it to run properly at the moment within my abilities. I have never changed a cam before, but can handle the mass aic converion if I can find the parts. From everything I am finding the stock mass air computer will only handle 19lb injectors and will not handle the 24lb injectors I have or the 80mm MAF I am planning to run. Is this accurate?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

That's accurate.. You'll need a mass air meter calibrated for 24# injectors.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:44 PM
88GTMustang
1st Gear Member

ok is that just the MAF that needs to be calibrated for 24lb injectors, or does the A9L computer need to be modified for that as well? If it is just the MAF that needs to be calibrated then this one that I bought should do the trick. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...:IT&ih=018
Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i didnt read many of the posts. but im an SD guy... i can shed some light, sorry if someone already said some of this

cam isnt going to work w. sd, but the gt40+.500 lift thing is retarded. im running e7s and putting a .512 lift cam in it, is it over kill? yes. can i grow into it? yes

get something like the steeda19, crower 15511, or the comp xe270hr(thats what i have sitting right here, waiting to go in)

however, the 24lb injectors wont work w. SD, plain and simple. either switch back to stock 19s, or get a mass air meter for 24s and a mass air comp, if u do that, might as well keep your cam, as it will be fine.

and lose the "highflow" oil pump, unless you have a 7+qt. pan, or at high rpm, you may notice oil issues... which well arent a good thing.

personally id swap to the 19lb injectors and a diff cam, but i prefer SD... it may be more sensable for you to swap to mass air... both options are cheap...
Old 11-20-2007, 05:46 PM
88GTMustang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info Dimebag! Why is there such a line between SP and MAF? What are the benefits of SP over MAF? I am sure this is an age old debate topic on here, but I don't know any better coming from my GTP. Anyone have any ideas what I would be running for HP if I did the Mass air conversion with the present setup?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:53 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

no no idea...

personally i like SD better... its an ongoing argument, most here are mass air guys, i wanted to be diff and stay SD... now that i did that and learned more about it, i like its simplicity, i know how it works, and im keeping it...

as for benifits... idk man... i know i can think of some to me...but a benifit in my eyes might not be one in yours... yano
Old 11-20-2007, 06:28 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88GTMustang

Thanks for the info Dimebag! Why is there such a line between SP and MAF? What are the benefits of SP over MAF? I am sure this is an age old debate topic on here, but I don't know any better coming from my GTP. Anyone have any ideas what I would be running for HP if I did the Mass air conversion with the present setup?
BTW: after reviewing your pictures, you do not have 24# injectors. Those are the stock 19# injectors that are in the picture. Is that an old picture? Or does your car still have those orange/yellow top injectors because those are stock. Just wanted to let you know before you bought anything that was "calibrated" for 24# injectors.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

jesus ****ingchrist.... get rid of those tail lights
Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 PM
88GTMustang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for that heads up 91hatchgt. How would I know for sure? I am just going by what the seller told me. Should I have 24lb injectors with the current setup, or can I run the stock 19's?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Well the injectors are color coded, so the yellow/orange top is a dead giveaway that they are not 24# injectors. 24# are blue, 30# are red, 42# are green etc.

With your set-up you should be perfectly fine with the stock injectors. You may want a FPR to adjust the fuel up or down to tune it when you get it running right. (whether you decide to go MAF or SD.) You may ask dimebag about that though. He probably know's more about it than I. I have never dealt with SD.