5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ok what the hell? need some help quick!

Old 11-21-2007, 08:11 PM
whitelightning5.0
I ♥ Acer

Default ok what the hell? need some help quick!

long story short....

heres whats done to my stang.

edelbrock aluminum heads,mild ported
ford racing F cam
edelbrock upper and lower intake also ported and portmatched
24# ford racing injectors
FULL msd 6al ignition with coil and timing controller
ford racing 9mm wires
ngk #8 plugs
proform roller rockers 1.6 ratio
bbk equal length headers into offroad x with flowmasters
edelbrock/bbk 70 mm tb and egr spacer
pro m maf calibrated for the injectors
full emissions delete {smog and egr}
tko600 trans with cf df clutch
4.10 gear with stud girdle

timing set at i beleive 14*{where at on the ford timing pointer do you want the mark at on the balancer while timing?}
i used the half circle part on the timing pointer to set at 14*?

long story short,the car has always had timing issues of some sort since getting the car running again. i had to bypass the msd once because of a broken wire and run the stock ignition,and the car started pinging like CRAZY,once the msd was hooked back up, it quit pinging,but everyonce in awhile while trying to restart the car,id have to turn the timing **** way down because the starter would drag.

also the power the car ONCE had,is now gone,it still runs good...and pretty hard...but it went from completely *** whooping ls1 cars and vettes...to getting its *** handed to it,it also seems like my power band has completely shifted,when the cam swap was first done,and the car was driven,it had GOBS of lowend,and a moderate pull on the topend,now it all seems like its topend,its kind of hard to judge being it has 4.10s and street tires,and its too cold out to toss the slicks on it.

also the idle issues this car has drives me up a fawking wall,some days it idles like a champ and sounds great,other times its surging or dying out. ive checked for vaccum leaks,and found one,plugged it,idle got way better,then it gradually went to **** the more i drove the car.

also,at lower idle{700/800} the car bucks and jerks and is really rough....which i think is a timing issue...

anybody have a no nonsense way to time these motors? ford factory timing pointer is the biggest peice of crap ive ever seen.

a picture of where the timing mark on the BALANCER should line up on the pointer would be super handy right about now
Old 11-21-2007, 08:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: ok what the hell? need some help quick!

when setting the timing and install ing the distributor the pointer should be set to 0 degrees and the #1 piston at that point if on the correct stroke should be at top dead center.....at that point you can install the distributor with the tfi module pointing in the correct direction alowwing a full range of timing advancement...after which distributor is installed correctly remove the spout connector and start car and rotate distributor while pointing a timing light at pointer/balancer and set to 10 degrees btdc and tighten bolt for dizzy and then shut off , reinstall spout and start it up and drive it
Old 11-21-2007, 08:32 PM
whitelightning5.0
I ♥ Acer

i understand how to stab a distributor....

what has me baffled on these 5.0's...is where at on the TIMING POINTER do you reference the timing mark on the balancer?

the balancer has engraved lines for timing,the pointer has to be referenced to this,where at on the factory 5.0 timing pointer that bolts to the timing chain cover do you time the motor at?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ingBracket.jpg

this shows the white line on the timing pointer.

the way i set mine,was that the timing mark on the balancer,shows up in that half circle part on the pointer,which i do beleive is wrong...i just need to know the reference point.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

like I said the pointer goes at 0.... clean the rust off yours and maybe you'll see the 0, from there it goes 10 btdc 20 btdc 30 btdc and to the left of the 0 10 atdc 20 atdc.......... oh and the half circle is not where you time it at, the tip of the pointer is the reference mark so there is half your problem[&:] the tip where you have the line drawn too, must line up at 10 btdc when timed correctly..otherwise your timing is way off way to far advanced which is why it'll ping[:@]
Old 11-21-2007, 08:46 PM
whitelightning5.0
I ♥ Acer

i actually did clean my pointer,had it in the parts washer and then wire wheeled it on the bench grinder,my timing pointer has ZERO markings on it,nothing stamped or indented anywhere on it,thats why i was baffled as to where to reference it too..

anyways,thanks a ton for the info,little later on tonight once the shop warms up ill retime the thing and see if that solves any of my issues,im probably running 20 or 30 degrees base timing hahaha
Old 11-21-2007, 08:48 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

then you need to go buy a balancer that has the marks on them... the rust probably ate them off...lol lol[:'(][:@]
Old 11-21-2007, 08:56 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Old 11-21-2007, 08:58 PM
whitelightning5.0
I ♥ Acer

adder,im sending you a case of your fave brew and a couple strippers....

thanks!

and thanks as well mj
Old 11-21-2007, 09:13 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

the black is ATDC, and the blue marks denote 0, 10°BTDC, and 20°BTDC.... you go from that end right there (i hope your pointer is just like mine)
Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 PM
whitelightning5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

the black is ATDC, and the blue marks denote 0, 10°BTDC, and 20°BTDC.... you go from that end right there (i hope your pointer is just like mine)
yeah mine is identical to your setup,i was just referencing the timing mark on the balancer in the wrong spot as i had initially thought,while timing the motor i was setting it at 14* with the timing mark on the balancer flashing in the half circular spot on the pointer....so yeah....its WAY off...i cant even beleive it runs half as good as it does.