5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Good cam for GT-40ps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 03:11 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Good cam for GT-40ps?

ORIGINAL: dimebag

ORIGINAL: XPBaller

ORIGINAL: dimebag

ok now go check and tell me how much that steeda19 cam is new....
200$, seenem around for 100-150$ used. What exactly was the point you were making?
my point is ok... 200 bucks... u cant save another hundred bucks for something better? and like i said, i wouldnt go used... but ya no wut, **** it, wtf do i know... go buy a used steeda cam... not my car
OK, MY point is last time i checked FTI and CI they wanted399+shipping for a custom cam. I can find a used one for 100-150$.last time i checked, thats a pretty big price difference, but i could be mistaken . I have a couple of good buddies who found cams used on the corral and run them.... they work too, i might add. i'm trying to be cool about all of this. Just because im asking what cam will work well with the p heads doesnt mean i dont know ****, so dont talk to me like i dont. kk? thanx.

anyways, anyone else have anything? Im kinda leaning towards the #19.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:33 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Where did you find the steeda cam for 200$? I have only seen it listed for $299. But I have only looked on their site.

You can put what ever cam you want in it as long as you get it tuned. If you are not going to get it tuned properly, then you are wasting your money on mediocre gains when you could have much more for just a little more $$$.

But like was stated, if you want a "plug n' play" cam, the steeda #19 is for you. I am +1 for not using a used cam. JMO
Old 11-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

But like was stated......"plug n' play" cam, the steeda #19 is for you.
actually I was saying that the comp cams 5.0 Magnum 266HR would plug and play as well the 19 and stock IMHO
Old 11-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

im definitely going to look into it, but what advantage does this cam have over the Steeda #19 cam for the p heads?
per simulation more cylinder pressure, that = more power, with greater lift & shorter duration. it **MIGHT** even idle better than 19???? hard to tell unless back to back test in real world conditions, but Id be willing to buy install the comp cams on sn95 and Im NOT a betting man[&:]

but all in all not a big difference, get the cheaper one?
Old 11-23-2007, 03:46 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Don't forget about the Crane2030 cam. It is supposedly a great cam for street/strip applications.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

1. You have a MAF EEC-IV system that is dependent on engine vacuum production?....WTF!..... more finicky to camshaft upgrades than a '86-'88 speed density system?...... specially with a EEC system that doesn't even have a Barometric Pressure sensor in its logic? .... let alone a Manifold Absolute pressure sensor?..... why is vacuum so important then?....... the ECM doesn't look into that/those scalar(s).

2. Plug-n-Play performance?..... look into the turbonator or magnetiizer "alternatives".... there is no such ting as "plug-n-play" performance....... unless you're at least, running a PS2 with Ford's GT game.

3. Simulations.....[sm=forgetit.gif]..... those are as valid as the s/w written + the input + the source of such s/w...... in other words, watch out for GIGO .... + if I would have based my business on simulations.... I wouldn't enjoy the "customer base" I have...... real data, please.... other than that = speculation, hearsay + guessing.... IOW, nothing better than empirical data.

4. dimebag.... he's * ucking pissed, you want to know why?...... unfortunately, he has been able to confirm that all the advise usually given (= don't cut corners, do it right, save and buy the right stuff, not the cheap $hit, etc, etc) is TRUE. And he has confirmed it the hard way.....$$$$ + time... (BTW, dimebag....if I cross the line, feel free to call me whatever you like, I'll *ucking understand it, b/c I was also there, once)..... and he's trying to pass on that experience.

5. So you want to spend some $$ and get some performance retribution........ then do it right!..... why settle for limited or mediocre performance when your $$ is the one on the line?......

Just a thought!
Old 11-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

91 the steeda 19 is 199 even on there site, maybe you were looking at the steeda 20 cam. Also dimebag i hear what your saying about a custom cam, but i believe if you pick the right cam for the job that the extra 100-200 you pay for a custom cam wont be worth it as you will see very minimal gains that do not net the worth. Steeda 19 is practically a custom cam just made for sn95 5.0's yes its not a hundred percent exact to everyones car, but since its made entirely for that car with that computer it usually performs almost at the peak despite what heads and intake you end up using, so sometimes the gain in hp isnt worth the money. Same reasoning behind comps stroker and blower and turbo cams.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:09 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

i paid like $110 shipped for my e303 cam. it was used, and works just fine. roller cams aren't a big deal because they don't mate with the lifters like on tappet cams. however, if i was running a sn95(which are finicky about cams) and wanted it to run to its potential, then i would select a decent intake to go with the gt40ps and call up comp cams and get them to help me choose one. their staff its pretty good at giving advice. i think they make even custom grind some. not sure. i think there is a company called customgrind or something that does it too. comp cams are really good cams, and the xe270 is freaking sweet.

remember though that gt40ps dont really flow well over .500 lift. the ecam is .498, so i think its a good choice for those heads. call up comp cams and see what they say. the b cam is too weak for the p's, and the f is too radical.

i've met many people who run drag cars with nitrous on e303 cams. tend to mainly be older guys. i've noticed young guys putting comp cams in theirs, or customs. do whatever floats your boat. do research on the car + the heads, then go from there.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustangkiler

91 the steeda 19 is 199 even on there site, maybe you were looking at the steeda 20 cam. Also dimebag i hear what your saying about a custom cam, but i believe if you pick the right cam for the job that the extra 100-200 you pay for a custom cam wont be worth it as you will see very minimal gains that do not net the worth. Steeda 19 is practically a custom cam just made for sn95 5.0's yes its not a hundred percent exact to everyones car, but since its made entirely for that car with that computer it usually performs almost at the peak despite what heads and intake you end up using, so sometimes the gain in hp isnt worth the money. Same reasoning behind comps stroker and blower and turbo cams.
1. How would you know you have picked the right cam?... or how can you tell a custom will provide "minimal gains"?......

2. If its not 100% exact to "everyones car", how can the Steeda 19 be considered a "custom cam"?

Old 11-23-2007, 11:01 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

so uhmm..... Any opinions on a good cam to run with the gt-40ps ?

Quick Reply: Good cam for GT-40ps?