5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

going to be doing the rings....

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:34 PM
DoctorD415
2nd Gear Member

Default going to be doing the rings....

I've got an 85 GT with quite a few miles on it. I've been having particular hard times with one cylinder and have done the heads on it and eliminated all the top end things. All the signs lead to the rings and its the only thing left to do, so im going to go ahead and do them since its got miles on it and im afraid ifone gives me a problemthey all may soon.

But what kind of rings should i look into getting (brand wise). Also should i mine as well do the bearings while doing the rings? I'm sort of on a tight budget so i cant go all out, but i basically just want to get the engine running good, so what should i do/look for while doing the rings?

Any suggestions or advice...

Also a little off topic, but if i were to ever get nos, is there any particular rings, or anything in particular i should do on the bottom end, because if its not much more money to do i might as well do it, since thats an option for the future.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:45 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: going to be doing the rings....

stock style rings would be fine for spray, but gap-less would be better... i run stock type ones

you need to realize that if you have to do rings, theres a good chance your cyl walls look like ****... this will mean it needs to be boredand honed for the rings to seat properly. if thats the case(very likly) you going to now need pistons as well... again, you may be able to get away with just a hone, but its doubtful...

and yes bearings are a very very good idea to do... there are kits... bearings/rings/gaskets thru summit for ABOUT 200 bucks
Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Here is what I have always used on a standard overhaul.. but if your going to bore it the .030 rings will be needed ..these rings have sealed well and for the money there are great......in 85 the pistons I believe didn't use the metric rings yet as later years eventually did so if your just going to overhaul it and the ridge on the top of the cylinder isn't to bad these should work but if there is a significant ridge , you'll have to use a ridge reamer to cut the lip off or damage will possibly occur to the new rings if you try to install the new ones with a ridge on the top of thecylinder wall

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Old 11-26-2007, 11:44 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

stock style rings would be fine for spray, but gap-less would be better... i run stock type ones

you need to realize that if you have to do rings, theres a good chance your cyl walls look like ****... this will mean it needs to be boredand honed for the rings to seat properly. if thats the case(very likly) you going to now need pistons as well... again, you may be able to get away with just a hone, but its doubtful...

and yes bearings are a very very good idea to do... there are kits... bearings/rings/gaskets thru summit for ABOUT 200 bucks
I like watching techs put new rings on a scratched up cylinder wall.[:'(]
Old 11-26-2007, 11:57 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yup, seen that happen before...

some ppl concern me, lol
Old 11-27-2007, 01:03 AM
stocksuspension
2nd Gear Member

if piston to wall clearance is still good and theres no scratches u can feal with ur nail then u can just simply ball hone it and call it a day, oh and i have done thant with a 150,000 shortblock and ran 12s

Old 11-27-2007, 01:44 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stocksuspension

if piston to wall clearance is still good and theres no scratches u can feal with ur nail then u can just simply ball hone it and call it a day, oh and i have done thant with a 150,000 shortblock and ran 12s

no scratches you can feel OR see... ill show u some u cant feel but if u look at them youll say, yup needs bored out