5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Does the combustion size change compression?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default Does the combustion size change compression?

In relation to the combustion chamber size on heads does that have an effect on compression ratio?

My stock heads were measured a 62cc's.... never smoked - ever. Got new heads that are measured at 60cc's and my car is smoking on start up. I have been told from friends that the compression ratio has gone up and my rings are leaking. Any truth to this?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:38 PM
shawnk007
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Does the combustion size change compression?

yes it would change your compression ratio, but 62-60cc is not that big of a change. the problem might be in those new heads
Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

never had any experience myself...but my buddy put twisted wedge heads on his 95 stock block...im not sure about chamber size..but his never smoked....although..the two guys i work with...one very into building engines and such...the other has had plenty of experience with stuff like this...and they both told me that if i threw new heads on my stock block with 115k miles, it would start burnin oil just because it seals up better and inturn makes more compression.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:09 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

you bump in compression would be like .1 or .2 or something...... its not alot. smoking is could be bad valve seals, are these heads used?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you got leaky valve seals to me.......
Not hard to fix but the heads really need to come off to do it right........
Old 11-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

Heads are not used..... brand new. Its burning about a quart every 250 miles. It does not smoke all the time, only on start up.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Texas5.0

In relation to the combustion chamber size on heads does that have an effect on compression ratio?

My stock heads were measured a 62cc's.... never smoked - ever. Got new heads that are measured at 60cc's and my car is smoking on start up. I have been told from friends that the compression ratio has gone up and my rings are leaking. Any truth to this?
rasing the compression ratio is not going to cause the rings to notseal...if they don't seal..right you'll get blow by and if they are new rings... they could be cheap ace ones that have low tension on them causing inadequate seal...I once bought one of those 300 dlooa' cheap ace kits and they came with Dana pirfect circle shyt rings and in blew the blues like a mosquito killer....took them out 2 weeks later and installed a set of federal mougal sealed power ones and cured the problem...also if new rings were installed were the cylinders prepped properly..like honed???
Old 11-28-2007, 09:59 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

hey, i have some perfect circle rings (the moly ones, they were at least a couple dollars more than the regular ones LOL) but they don't smoke.

if its only smoking on startup its 99% valve seals. maybe they forgot to put them on the heads, or they ripped one while installing, or they put a 3/8 stem seal on there by mistake..... pull the valve covers and see whats up
Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

Dana pirfect circle shyt rings and in blew the blues like a mosquito killer....

You must have not installed them right....

J/K...

I used a Dana perfect circle inner tie rod on my ranger and it was garbage, it started making noise and pretty much froze up in about a year.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

ORIGINAL: mjr46

Dana pirfect circle shyt rings and in blew the blues like a mosquito killer....

You must have not installed them right....

J/K...

I used a Dana perfect circle inner tie rod on my ranger and it was garbage, it started making noise and pretty much froze up in about a year.
trust me these weren't the good ones!! they came in the bargin basement price chinesee kits!!! and they weren't the moly ones either......they were cheesey to the look and my tech teacher even doubted them many years ago and said before I installed them that I may want to get a better set... hmmmmm should of listened...200 dollars later in all new fluids and gaskets I had the problem solved

Quick Reply: Does the combustion size change compression?