5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Intake Manifold Removal for new valve covers..

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 05:46 AM
Dejavu
2nd Gear Member

Default Intake Manifold Removal for new valve covers..

Hey guys!!

I need more help! damn, everytime, lol sorry but I swear to god I am new and like I've said before "***** in" on this whole car thing- no mechanical experience what-so-ever! so here I am again, lol...

Lets see, I bought a bunch of goodies for my car today and among those things I bought new valve covers. I want to put them in but I need to take off my intake manifold and my question was, if I take it off, can I just put it back on and not worry or are there any kind of "settings" I need to reset or something?

See, what I'm trying to do is clean out the firewalls of my car and change all the convulated tubbing that I'll have access to once its off. With the intake manifold off I'll have easier access to my sparkplugs, not to mention the valve covers, I'll change the spark plugs and put in the new valve covers and the spark plug wire organizers( which bolt on with the valve cover bolts) and that will give me a chance to clean my intake manifold too, and when all of that is done, I'll put it back on and everything will be complete =D

So my questions are: (in the picture all the stuff that has yellow arrows is coming off )

If I take off all of those things, except for the colvulated tubing, which is going to be replaced, but as far as the intake manifold goes and the intake and valve covers, will I ruin any sort of settings that might excists? or can I just put it back on and have nothing go wrong?

I ask because I hear about all this weird stuff like compression ratio and vacuum and idle speeds and the right spark and all of that, it makes me think I might screw things up if I remove those things and not setup something that needs to be setup ( but if I don't know about it, how can i know??? lol)

Please help me on this one too guys cause tomorrow is my last day off to work on the car and I want to be sure that its safe for me to have those things off so I can clean the car and then put them back next week on my days off with new wires new caps new valves and all those goodies =D

Thanks guys!!! appreciate it alot!

Dejavu
Old 03-09-2005, 08:49 AM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Intake Manifold Removal for new valve covers..

You shouldn't have any problem...you should be able to remove everything and put it back on. I've had the intake and throttle body off on mine and the biggest problem was the EGR valve and even that wasn't too big a deal. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Dejavu
2nd Gear Member

Whats an EGR???? and how can i fix that if i F it up?!?!
Old 03-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Dejavu
2nd Gear Member

Someone give me some feed back please cause I have everything ready outside to go and take all of that stuff off!!!! heeelp!
Old 03-09-2005, 02:46 PM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

The EGR valve is on the back of the throttle body spacer.It is behind the one yellow arrow you have by the throttle body.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:18 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dejavu

if I take it off, can I just put it back on and not worry or are there any kind of "settings" I need to reset or something?
there isnt any settings to worry about
Old 03-10-2005, 02:44 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

What? Your car is charged! I didn't know that.. The intake is easy to take off.. I have had mine off and on a few times this past week.. As long as you dont ruine your gasket you'll be fine, or make sure you buy a new gasket to be safe.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:17 AM
Dejavu
2nd Gear Member

Hey 91!

nice talking to you again!, what do you mean charged? as in supercharger or the battery problem i'm having? lol

I got a Vortech V1 S-trim at 10psi, but its off right now, will be for a while, I want to get used to driving stick again! LOL! then its on baby! =D

Thanks for the info, as far as the EGR goes, I took that off fine, but I had a huge scare when I popped the spring LOL! but i put it back the way it was =D, its gonna take a long long time for everything to go back on cause i'm putting on new convulated tubing wherever I can and retaping everything =)

Um... I had a question though, my power steering fluid was over flowing today, but its always been SUPER low, how come its overflowing now? ( was over flowing, now its just showing that its super full, when before it was almost empty) OOh, and what color is it? cause mine looks muddy like, dark brownish, can I drain all that and put in new power steering fluid??? if so, how do you drain it? thx guys!

Dejavu
Old 03-10-2005, 03:36 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

if you carefully unplug the electrical connections to the throttle body, the IAC, and the EGR valve, there is nothing that will need to be reset when you put the upper intake back on. you also do need to disconnect the throttle linkage from the bottom of the throttle body and disconnect the two cooling hoses from the EGR spacer block. also you do need to be careful to unplug the vacuum hoses at both the front and the back of the upper intake and put the hoses back on in the same locations when you reinstall the intake.
and you can suck the power steering fluid out of the reservoir with a cheap plastic turkey baster.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Dejavu
2nd Gear Member

Hey good afternoon guys!

I think I did all the right stuff, I think I unpluged the things you guys are thinking about, most of them I think hehe, I need to recheck but everything I took off I labled with tape to make sure where it goes back.

Um, is there a way to clean your headers? cause mine are looking kinda dirty, they're like bluish and redish and rusty colored but not rusted at all just look funny....

I bought new valve covers and one of the ones that I put in have these 3 studs about an inch long coming down from the top on the right end of the valve covers( the one on the left side looking at it from the drivers seat) and I have 1.6 ratio cobra rocker arms and I was wondering if I was gonna have clearance problems with that, and if I should just take them off and cut that off first, or should I leave it on and try starting the car with the new valves on and see what happens?? lolol

And how can I cut that off??? cause there isn't much space for a hack saw and I down' on a jig saw or saw saw... any idea's?

Thanks alot guys, I'm gonna try and get film for my camera so you guys can see the mess I had and the final outcome =)

Oh, and I have a "order" question" now that the upper intake is off, and the new valves are on, and I need to put in the spark plugs and spark plug wires and cap and rotor in, what order do you guys recommend I do it in, taking off the valve covers is fine if you guys think they should be off to make it all easier...

THANKS GUYS! time to go to work =-\ grrr I get my days off in another 5 days, sigh !!!!

Dejavu

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Removal for new valve covers..