5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Possible head and RR swap!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:49 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: Possible head and RR swap!!!!

check all intake ports as stated above, check the bridges between all the ports and all exhaust ports for cracking. check all valves and valve stems and their tops for excessive wearing(should be obvious)....also check the valve seals for the hell of it, anything that gives you an indication or the well being of the heads.

when your checking metal for cracking you usually cant feel them but you'll notice consistant black lines going "against the grain" in this case if you see a hairline black line moving from the intake toward the exhaust direction that would be against the grain. thats a good indication of stress on the metal. if the line does not clean up with some 400 grit sand paper after a couple quick passes.....its a crack.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:32 PM
black89gt
4th Gear Member

i dont think those heads will bolt up with your 85 motor... Aren't the pistons different?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: black89gt

i dont think those heads will bolt up with your 85 motor... Aren't the pistons different?
i dont think he has flat top pistons....even if he does im sure hes not a pansy and will notch his pistons
Old 11-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Just to add another $.02... If you're suspicious that the heads are screwed, don't let the idea of getting a good deal make you buy 'em anyhow. I picked mine up for $200, local (no shipping), off of a running 50k mile '95 Cobra (he went to AFRs). Granted, port and polish work gets expensive (that's where mine are right now) but its not worth buying "suspicious" goods over it. Plus, without a flow sheet from a reputable builder to match his word, the port/polish is worthless, or at least suspect, IMO. Any fool with a dremel can "port" heads; and do more damage than good.

Anyhow... I hope you get there and they're perfect! But, if not, other deals are out there.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:48 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: Maxwelhse

Just to add another $.02... If you're suspicious that the heads are screwed, don't let the idea of getting a good deal make you buy 'em anyhow. I picked mine up for $200, local (no shipping), off of a running 50k mile '95 Cobra (he went to AFRs). Granted, port and polish work gets expensive (that's where mine are right now) but its not worth buying "suspicious" goods over it. Plus, without a flow sheet from a reputable builder to match his word, the port/polish is worthless, or at least suspect, IMO. Any fool with a dremel can "port" heads; and do more damage than good.

Anyhow... I hope you get there and they're perfect! But, if not, other deals are out there.
you should be suspecious of anything you buy off another person. but that doesnt mean he thinks they are junk, he just wants to be educated before he goes to buy them.
and you can eeeeeeasily tell between a homemade port and polish job and a company that cnc's the ports.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh
you should be suspecious of anything you buy off another person. but that doesnt mean he thinks they are junk, he just wants to be educated before he goes to buy them.
and you can eeeeeeasily tell between a homemade port and polish job and a company that cnc's the ports.
True, but not every good cylinder head man uses a CNC to port. I wouldn't be afraid of buying hand ported heads by any means. I'm just saying that the data (flow sheet) to support the work needs to be supplied.

Not trying to start a big argument or anything. Just food for thought.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

Thanx for the help guys! So even I can tell if its a bad job? I'm not too experienced, but should they feel/look close to a edlebrock RPM port? If not they arent done at all they should feel like my buddies 305 derby engines ports? ANND if they are a DIY port job they should look like ****, or alright depending on the port-er-dude lol? I'm new, let me know what you think. THANKS A LOT!!
Old 11-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Hand work will be obvious. CNC work should look like the Edlebrock ports you mentioned. With GT40's, I would bet that they've been hand ported (usually cheaper). There is absolutely nothing wrong with a GOOD hand port job, but the only way you know how good the work was is to have a flow sheet.

Do you have a local friend or somebody with some experience that can tag along with you to look at them?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

I have a friends that would, they are brothers, and the one has been racing for 10 or so years. The oldest most experienced is married, so I dont think he'll be able to make it, but his bro might be able to lend a helping hand. I'll see what they say about this weekend. Thanx for the help and idea's. I need all the help I can get! If anyone has anything to add, please do, thanx again!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 PM
whitestang89

where is the guy from again? just wondering?

Quick Reply: Possible head and RR swap!!!!