5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

distributor instalation

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 02:00 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: distributor instalation

thanks for the help, I guess it is possible I am 180 out.
I took out the #1 plug and put my finger on the plug hole to feel compression already
I will take off the valve covers to make sure, I 'm gonna do it tomorrow.

Also, I was breaking in my cam at 2000-2500 rpm for about 5 mins then headers started to glow, then I shut it down, and have started it 3-4 times, running it for mabye 10-15 minutes in total , and was wondering if this is okay to break in my cam? I only reved it low once when I had to run around the car and up the idle.
I checked the oil and I can't see any metal flakes or anything.
would it be okay to just let it idle normal? or should I rev it high some more?
I used new lifters and old pushrods.
thanks
Old 03-11-2005, 02:13 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: silver91gt

I took out the #1 plug and put my finger on the plug hole to feel compression already

Also, I was breaking in my cam at 2000-2500 rpm for about 5 mins then headers started to glow, then I shut it down, and have started it 3-4 times, running it for mabye 10-15 minutes in total , and was wondering if this is okay to break in my cam? I only reved it low once when I had to run around the car and up the idle.
thanks

i dont know how people say it can be 180 degrees off... have you tried the finger test before? trust me youll know its making compression when you feel your finger pop off the hole, theres no other way lol.. not bashing but just saying this method is easier than removing the valve covers IMO, and if you your quick with the key you can hit it dead on like i did
Old 03-11-2005, 03:10 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

I tried the finger test before, but it only had a little bit of compression, it didnt pop my finger off it or anything, but I did turn it with a socket.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:54 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

I tried the finger test before, but it only had a little bit of compression, it didnt pop my finger off it or anything, but I did turn it with a socket.

its not gonna pop off unless you use the starter to move the piston quick enough to build compression. if you turn it slowly with a lever your barely goingto feel compression, thats why i said you need a friend. it really is a very reliable method.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:13 AM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

thanks
Headers glowing is not a good thing, either the cam timing is wrong or the ignition timing is way retarded, that is propably why you had to adjust the idle setting.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:21 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

thanks
NO, DO NOT allow a new cam to just set and idle like that. You will wear a cam lobe down very quickly that way!!
Vary the rpms through the rpm range but keep it above 2500rpms for about at least 20 min.
Also, are your headers brand new because when my shorties were new, they glowed cherry red for about 5 min. and then it went away and never happened again. If they are NOT new and they glow, then I say you are running lean.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:32 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

my headers are not new, and when I had it running the rpms only got lower than 2000 once for a second when I had to run around the car to up my idle by hand. but I have had it running at a fast idle for about 15-20 mins in total so far.
how do I know when the cam is broken in?
Old 03-11-2005, 08:36 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

is it possible for the engine to run if it sparks on the exhaust stroke?
I think I might have it set to fire on exhaust.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:40 PM
fats429
2nd Gear Member

no it wont eaven start
Old 03-12-2005, 01:57 AM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

If you've had it running for at least 20 min. already then you are probably good. The best way would be to drive it for awhile, if that's possible right now.
If not, then I might keep varying the rpms for a bit every time I started it up...maybe for another day or so.....just to be safe.
That's what I did when I rebuilt my engine. I didn't want to take ANY chances

Quick Reply: distributor instalation