5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

no oil in my oil filter???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default no oil in my oil filter???

Alright, it has been forever since I've been on here, but I have a question for you guys. I am out changing my oil right now, and when I took off my oil filter, NO oil came out of it. This seemed strange enough, but I figured I had already drained enough oil from the two main plugs. Well, then I tilted the oil filter expecting oil to be inside... nothing... then I looked inside, and the damn thing looks almost brand new!

I don't know, have any of you heard of this? The car has not been turned on for only 1 day, since yesterday, so it hasn't been sitting for months or anything, could something be clogged up in the oil system and oil isn't getting into the filter?

I'm using 10W-30 synthetic motor oil with the Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:01 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

Default RE: no oil in my oil filter???

how long has it been on the car outta curiosity?
Old 12-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

On the car? You mean the oil filter? I would say about 3 months since my last oil change...

Ok, I confess, maybe a little more... I would say a little more than 3 months most likely less than 4.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:05 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

Yea sorry i didn't clear that up i figured you knew i was talking about the filter. So the oil filter has been on the car now for around 4 months and there isnt any oil in it. Thats pretty odd. When you drained the oil how did it look, and was there anything in it? Like metal shavings etc.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Well, the oil was black, and I didn't immediately notice any shavings. There might have been some, who knows, but it wasn't noticeable when the oil got on my hands when I took off the drain plugs. From what I could see, there was no metal shavings.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:28 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I had that happen once on a different car. There was the wrong filter on it. I changed it then checked later and it was full of oil.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

change the oil and filter and start it up and look at the oil pressure and see what it reads...then pull the filter back off and recheck...if it's full then don't worry about it...just monitor the pressure for the next few days
Old 12-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Yah, apparently my oil is sludgy and since I didn't start it up, it was cool and the oil just kind of stayed inside the filter part of it. Because after I posted on here and did a little research online, I didn't find any useful information, so I went back downstairs to brainstorm by my car, and I looked in the filter, which has been sitting on the floor with the opening facing upward, but now, there is oil all in there. I also decided to check because one forum online had someone reporting the same problem, but with a Porsche which is pretty different, and someone suggested that if it is heavy, that means it is saturated with oil. I did notice that it was heavier than a new filter, so that was also why I decided to go back downstairs to check again. So I think it should be ok, my oil pressure has always read in the normal range. And it's reading normal now, so I think it should be ok. But I am going to go back to the Purolator Pure One filter next time, don't know why I decided to change to the Mobil 1, the Purolator was working fine, if it ain't broke, don't fix it I guess. I guess it's because I'm using Mobil 1 motor oil, lol. I'm using their extended performance but changing every 3000 miles (or trying to) anyway. I guess better safe than sorry if I don't have time to change my oil at the 3000 mark, it might go over a little, hopefully the extended performance oil works like it's supposed to...

Thanks guys for the feedback.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:33 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

dont trust the stock press. guage

fwiw... i had 0 oil pressure and threw 2 rods.. but dammit if that guage didnt say i was good to go lol
Old 12-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Dave5point0
2nd Gear Member

I saw this same thing happen at a dealer i worked at. The customer brought his car in with a knocking noise, and had changed his own oil for 150,000 miles with penzoil. The car had never been back to a dealer in the conntinental united states ever since the day it was bought, but anyways. The crappy penzoil has parifin (sp?) which is wax basically for "microscopic protection" and over the years the oil itself (along with a little coolant milkshack) cloged up the oil pickup and filter holes, so the motor wasn't getting any oil into the head, bad times for the head, and threw off the timing, and piston vs. valve = real bad times, and a little "knocking noise" he noticed lol, new motor

Quick Reply: no oil in my oil filter???