5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 AM
iwantfast

Default tranny problems

Hello every one.I traded my dsm for a 95 gt automatic and it has no reverse.When i have it in park it will only rev up to around 3k rpms.It's almost like the engine is being held against it's will.When i switch it into reverse the back up lights go on and the engine slightly loweres in rpms but once again it's held against it's will.

When it's put into neutral it then still wants to drive forward and won't go into neutral. Then drive is like drive should be but at 65 mph it revs at like 27-32,000 rpms.No overdrive.

Well i'm really excited to finnally get the 5.0 and just for a $500 90 eclipse gsx. Hey it was fun but i really dont want to work on it.

So if you could help me i would appreciate it.
I think it is a canidate for the t5 swap ." need 5 speed"
Old 12-05-2007, 02:01 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: tranny problems

ORIGINAL: iwantfast

Hello every one.I traded my dsm for a 95 gt automatic and it has no reverse.When i have it in park it will only rev up to around 3k rpms.It's almost like the engine is being held against it's will.When i switch it into reverse the back up lights go on and the engine slightly loweres in rpms but once again it's held against it's will.

When it's put into neutral it then still wants to drive forward and won't go into neutral. Then drive is like drive should be but at 65 mph it revs at like 27-32,000 rpms.No overdrive.

Well i'm really excited to finnally get the 5.0 and just for a $500 90 eclipse gsx. Hey it was fun but i really dont want to work on it.

So if you could help me i would appreciate it.
I think it is a canidate for the t5 swap ." need 5 speed"
Man I wish my 5.0 could rev that high ...i'd be like strapin' a rocket to my Ace and blastin' off......anyway I know what you mean 3200 rpm's would be the correct number......Did all this happen at once or is this the way you purchased the car??? so if I understand you right the car won't move when you put it in gear???? if it won't then as long as the brakes aren't frozen in place if the car has been sitting for a while then your tranny may be toast which you could perform a line pressure test with the proper gauges tapped into the test port and go through the gears and record pressures in each gear ...depending on the readings you may or may not be able to confirm the trannies integrity
Old 12-05-2007, 11:54 PM
iwantfast

well the transmission is driving forward and not to shabby! .But the reverse and the neutral is just wako.
Like i said park, parks i can hear it lock into park but when i push the gas down it only will rev up to like 3000 rpms like its being held against its will or like your trying to brake stand but thereis no movement.
Then it does the same thing when you put it into reverse all except if you just slide it into reverse you can see the rpms drop like 50 or so and it feels like it's in gear but with the same reaction as park. and neutral is like drive it works as if the car was in drive and if you move the selector into drive it works just like drive.

It seems like the linkage is all mixed up. So on saturday i'm going to do a adjustment to the linkage , the reverse band and oil/filterchange with the f fluid of course and maybe it will work.

I drove it around today and the pickup of the mustang is cool but man i had no idea of how much speed you lose off the takeoff without 4wheel drive.But i don't miss the eclipse it was ragged, interior sucked but ran like a champ.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:37 AM
iwantfast

Well i got to looking around under the mustang today and found out that the transmission is a 3.8l v6 trans.Nice that someone actually paid to get a v6 trans put in. Well i'm not messing with making it work .I'm just going to go get a t5 and do the swap.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i think that i'll need the pedal assembly, with clutch cable , flywheel new clutch and the t5 maybe a 5speed ecu.

Have any of you done the swap and how complicated is it?
Old 12-08-2007, 03:56 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: iwantfast

Well i got to looking around under the mustang today and found out that the transmission is a 3.8l v6 trans.Nice that someone actually paid to get a v6 trans put in. Well i'm not messing with making it work .I'm just going to go get a t5 and do the swap.
I'm glad you think it matters... because they infact are the same transmission.

your shift linkage is out of adjustment.. btw
Old 12-08-2007, 10:25 AM
iwantfast

"your shift likage is out of adjustment"
BTW
I checked the shift linkage re adjusted and still nothing .The tranny does not have any tv cable that i can find ,I did see on the opposite side that the shift linkage is there are 3 bolts, going fromback to front they are marked FWD, TVand intermit.I bought the filter along with 13qt of mercron "its going back to the napa".

But who wants an automatic?
Iwantfast
Old 12-09-2007, 07:15 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Wow, I had a similar problem on a 93 F150 (AODE). When it was in park, it was still in gear, but the parking mechanism in the tranny was engaged. Like you said, it would only rev up a couple thousand rpms, and that was because it was still in drive, and park at the same time. Neutral was just like drive.I drove it like that for a couple of months, and if I had to back up, I put it in neutral, turned the key off, and pushed it backwards. If you tried to start it in neutral, it would jump in gear and take off. Even when you started it in park, you could feel it lunge forward. It drove forward fine, just no neutral, and no reverse. I fixed the problem by selling the truck on Ebay, and buying a new one.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:26 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

well if its the v6 tranny, it is just as good as the aode as far as hp capabilities. a J-mod to the valve body will do wonders.

the trick to that tranny, the 4R70W, which is a AODE with a Wide ratio gear set, there are wires and what not that need to run in order for the computer to control the tranny correctly.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...on/index.shtml